Thread: give admin rights on sbs2003 networked machine

sad give admin rights on sbs2003 networked machine

Hi peeps,

I wonder if some one could help me.
    I'll try and put this all in simple terms.....
    We have a server running sbs2003,
    There are 9 client pc all with there user profiles on each one.
    No one can download any thing through out the network.
    The problem is I need to allow our accountent access to download things like .pdf docs and various other docs.
    How can I do this with giving every one else this privalage.

Hopefully someone knows how to do this.
    Cheers All,
    Zane
    P.S: Great site by the way.

Re: give admin rights on sbs2003 networked machine

If you just want the users to download the pdf documents and/or install software then simply give them Power User rights, if you really trust them. However I would have not done this as you can have users bogging their machines down with viruses, etc..

Hello,

You can create Group for your 9 PC's and for that and make them Administrative group.Administrative groups are created to give specific users administrative rights for certain tasks.
    In contrast to Exchange 2000, no administrative group is available by default under Exchange 2003 on SBS 2003.
    The reason for this is that administrative groups are generally used in larger environments. So, to avoid confusion, administrative groups are initially disabled.

To create an administrative group, perform the following steps:

1. Open the System Manager and from the context menu of Exchange Organization select Properties.
    2. Mark the Display Administrative Groups checkbox. You must then restart the System Manager.
    3. In the new container Administrative Groups you will find the First Administrative Group entry. To create a new group, click New in the context menu of the container.
    4. Give the new group a name and click OK.
    5. To assign rights to the group, click Assign Object Administration in the context menu of the new group. A wizard is started.
    6. On the Users and Groups page select the persons to whom you wish to delegate parts of the administration. You can modify the rights of already existing users and groups through the Edit button. Users however may not carry the Inherited attribute for this. Properties for the administrative group are inherited if the user or group has already been given administrative rights for the higher-level Exchange Organization. You cannot add a user who is a member of one of the groups that carry the predicate Inherited.
    7. After you have selected a user via Add, you can assign him or her one of the three following rights:

• Exchange Full Administrator: Complete administration of the Exchange system information along with changing of rights is possible.
      • Exchange Administrator: Complete administration of the Exchange system information is possible.
      • Exchange View Only Administrator: Only the Exchange configuration information can be displayed.

8. Click on OK and Finish to close the wizard.

Hi,

You can also get some information related to your problem from the Microsoft offficial site:

Updating a Windows Small Business Server 2003 Network Using Software Update Services Server 1.0

Regards,

smile Re: give admin rights on sbs2003 networked machine

Thanks for that guys,

I'll give that a go and see what happens.

This is a great site, keep up the good work.

Zane