Thread: What is FON

idea What is FON

Today I discovered something that has galvanized me a lot, because it embodies the dream of free surf wherever you go

This dream is the FON community and is not a dream but a reality that is now well established.

Many of you must have seen among the available wireless networks, a network FON. The first thing I thought about FON is that it was a company that sold a hot spot wi-fi. Today I discovered that FON is actually a community of users who share their home connection to be able to enjoy wherever they go. Free network made available by users like him (LINUS profile) or obtaining 50% of up to who connects all hot spots by paying (not user FON).

Carrying forward the FAQ of this interesting initiative which will probably join one day ... for now I do not have big needs, but they attract only by the beautiful idea

What is FON

Several people contact us asking for more information about our initiative.
    If you do not find an answer to your doubts you can always fill out this form.
    1. I have heard of Fon: what is it? A software? A Hardware?

Fon is a community of users who have decided to share their broadband connection. The idea is innovative because this network will be built from the bottom, with the input of all users who want to join. To form the grid for hot spots, points of public access to the internet, will be the standard of ADSL subscribers, who agree to share your connection (signed with any provider). The other Fon users passing in the street, near hot spot (within a few hundred meters) can access the internet so fast, using the shared ADSL. To become a fonero is enough to have a router able to install the FON firmware (currently compatible models: Linksys WRT54G (pre-v5), WRT54GL, WRT54GS and WRT54GSv4, or Buffalo WZR-RS-G54, WHR-HP-54, and WHR-G54S) that allows the sharing of the band and recording of the community.

2. Do I need separate Fon router?

Unless you have a compatible router (in this case is simply install the firmware downloaded from our site FON), you can purchase a router on our site at the cost of subsidy (Linksys WRT54GL/GS only 5 euros + 10 euro shipping) with the only constraint to register the router to the community and keep sharing active for a year.

3. What is a Fon router? I need to change my Internet connection (such as remote access)?

Once configured FON router works independently from our network. In short, only the need to receive the incoming connection to radiate its signal. Furthermore, for those who have not had a WiFi system at home or office is a great way to Wifi the environment. You can configure 5 account for family members or colleagues to allow them access to a WiFi network whether they are or not fonero.

4. Where the connection? I must take my PC connecting to the Internet?

As explained in section 3 is only necessary to connect the router to the ADSL modem.

5. I already have the wi-fi?

All users can become Foneros who hold subscriptions to broadband Internet. It is not necessary to have a WiFi router but you must possess at least a WiFi device (notebook, PDA, etc.) to complete the registration of the router to our community.

6. My pc must be a Centrino or have the wi-fi?

The type of computer is not relevant while WiFi is needed to connect but not to make the system work. But needed at least one device (notebook, PDA, etc.) WiFi for the initial registration of the router to the community.

7. Do I have to install a software?

Only the firmware in the router that if purchased on our site, comes loaded (FON Router Ready).

8. Is it true that everyone can then enter my pc via radio?

Absolutely not. The router is not connected to any PC but only the ADSL modem. The connection between the router and PC is required only for initial setup.

9. And my pc automatically protected?

See 8

10. Do I need an antivirus or similar?

Whether browsing via WiFi or cable precautions are the same.

11. What now? What can I do with this? (where to navigate?)

Each application used on the Web is also used by WiFi FON. The applications are endless.

12. Spends on the phone?

This depends on the type of manager or VoIP application that you use and not by FON.

13. Those who use my connection what can I do? (telephone,
      Navigation)

Everything that can make connecting to the Internet. As if they were at home using their connection.

14. We gain anything?

You can join our community by sharing their connection for free, resulting in exchange for free access to all our HotSpot in the world. These users are defined LINUS. If, instead, we wanted to make money by sharing their connection as it adheres BILL. In this case you have not access to other HotSpot but receives 50% of revenues generated from the sale of pass through their hotspot. Users who are not Foneros our hotspot can buy a pass to navigate (3 euro for a day or 10 euros for 5 days), these users are defined ALIEN.

15. How can I identify where the fonero is (private)?

Through the map of FON (FON Maps) you can identify Foneros in the territory. As you have already had the opportunity to test, the map does not guarantee the real presence of a HotSpot active but gives registered users. In short you can improve this application making it more reliable.

16. Turn on the laptop .... what I see? As I see on my network?

By scanning a WiFi network available, in the presence of a HotSpot FON, we will find an open network named FON_Name. Once connected you'll go in FON welcome page where you can log (including mail and password) when Foneros or buy a day pass to enter.

17. Use its links to navigate: how much you spend?

If you are Foneros of Linus, you does not spend anything for navigation. In the case of Bill or Alien will need to buy a day pass to access the navigation.

18. Use its links to navigate: they are anonymous?

Users must login (not navigate without being logged and recorded) so familiar FON users who are connected and provide all necessary information in the case were requested by the authorities.

19. Use its links to navigate: Can I see in others PC?

Absolutely not. The router is not connected to PC's.

20. Use this connection to TELEPHONE FROM MY PC: how I spend?

The costs depend on the manager for Internet telephony.

21. Use this connection to TELEPHONE FROM MY PC: What central Skype?

Skype is the application for VoIP telephony widespread and partners of FON. FON recommend the use of Skype for calls over the Internet.

22. Can I use my phone to ring? (which phone I must have? With which software?)

To use the phone it must have the ability to connect to the network via WiFi. Once connected it behaves like an ordinary PC or PDA using VoIP applications for the preferred by the user.

23. I have heard that there are cordless Skype: work with district Fon?

Obviously yes.

Re: What is FON

At home my FON does not take but in my city there are some parts where I captured this network. I was connected and I made a few minutes of evidence.

Result?
    Here is my opinion:
    • The system itself is not evil but should strengthen the antenna equipment for a wide range.
    • The navigation is good only if the signal reaches 5Mbit/s, below becomes unstable and no sails.
    • When I tried to go to the Google network was "open" because the navigation on sites that "sponsor" FON is open and waterways, including Google
    • As for the prices are not excessive and for the many who are still with the 56k, this thing is a hand from heaven.
    • On the other hand, if you already have a line like me "fixed" with a monthly subscription, I simply do not believe you plan to switch to a network unstable and not yet completely safe.

Re: What is FON

Uhm maybe you did not understand how it works. Fon is not an internet provider, fon is a community made up of people like you who have a particular home router that also allows others to connect fee, or free if they are part of the community fon.

Obviously the benefit of those who already have a fixed network is that becoming a member of the community and installing the Fonera router as linus user can enjoy free anywhere in the world is a hot spot fon. Imagine if the network was widespread + and broader community so that each person had a home user linus type.