Thread: Loss of wireless connection

Loss of wireless connection

I have a dell PC that runs on Windows vista

I have a dell PC (about 9 months old) that runs on Windows vista. I have a cable modem that is connected to a wireless Linksys router. My wireless connection has suddenly stopped, though in the icon tray that laptop states that there is an excellect signal. I have done all of the following rebooted both router and and PC, disconnected router and connected model directly to the PC (I can connect to the internet). I had a spare router same brand and series and swapped it, I get the same issue. I typically run on a secure signal which I unsecured and still get the same problem. I just can't connect. I have had no problems with the wireless connection up until this point. Does anyone have any suggesstions???

Thanks,

Re: Loss of wireless connection

What is the IP address of your computer? Can you provide us the result of "ipconfig/all" ? Try pinging the router and see whether it gives the reply (4 ideally). How far you from the computer? It is recommended to be within the range (20-25m for G-router).

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows Vista

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

After that, let's see this when connected to the network:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

The following steps are given for the Netgear router, but I think you can get help using this for your Linksys router also,
    1. Connect your computer directly to the modem, without the router. If you cannot access the Internet, contact your ISP.

2. Reconnect the router, modem, and computer as they were before Step 1. Can you log on to the router? If not then:

• Check that all cables attached to the router and computer are secure.

• Check the Internet LED is lit. If it is not, troubleshoot light status, as explained in the router manual.

• Check the LEDs for the ports with cables are lit. If not, move the cable to a different port. If there are still no lights, then troubleshoot light status, as explained in the router manual.

• Check if the LED on the Ethernet adapter is lit. If it is not, then troubleshoot the adapter, do not continue this document. If the adapter is not NETGEAR's, contact Premium Support, or the manufacturer.

• Power off the router.

• Power the router on again.

• If you still cannot log on to the router, then do a hard reset on the router, as described in Forgot or Lost Router Password.

• If you still cannot log on to the router, Contact NETGEAR.

3. Run the router's SmartWizard. This lets the router discover whether you have a static or dynamic IP address, and whether you are using PPPoE to connect to your ISP. (For routers without this utility, go to Step 7.)

4. If a dynamic IP address is discovered, go to Step 8.

5. If PPPoE is discovered, configure your router with the username and password from your ISP. Click Apply to enter the data. Go to Step 8.

6. If a static IP address is discovered, configure your router with this information given by your ISP: the IP address for your router, the address of the ISP's DNS, and the address of the gateway. Click Apply to enter the data. Go to Step 8.

7. If the Smart Wizard does not find an IP address:
      • Power off the router.
      • Power off the modem.
      • Power on the modem.
      • Power on the router.
      • Go back to Step 3.

8. Click Test to access NETGEAR's online test page. If the page displays, then you have Internet access!

9. If the page does not display in a minute, see No Internet With New Router, Computer or Adapter: MAC Spoofing.

10. Find out if the modem's IP address can be seen by looking at the Router's Status Page, as described in the manual. If not, then reboot the modem, router, and computer, in that order — waiting for each to completely reboot before rebooting the next.

11. If the modem's IP is seen, then there is a problem with your browser's settings. Your security may be set too high for the Internet service you are trying to use, or your browser may be configured for a dial-up connection. In Internet Explorer you check this using Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Default Level. If the slider is set to "High", change it to "Medium". Click Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections. If the radio buttons in the center are not greyed out, then settings for a dial-up connection are being used.

Warning: If you are a dial-up user converting to a cable or DSL connection, some software will not work when both types of configuration are present. Configuring your new connection may stop your dial-up connection from working. You may have to configure to connect one way or the other.

I disconnected all of my components, including my router from the cable (which I did before) and that seemed to fix all of my problems. Thanks to all for your help.

Happy to see that your problem is solved. Everything is well if the endings well

I have intermittent losing of my wireless internet connection with my new vista machine.
    I have 3 other xp machines that connect wirelessly with no problem.
    My problem is I can connect for a while and then it drops.
    Then I reboot, and it connects sometimes and other times only for a few minutes.
    I can hook up using ethernet and everything is fine.