Thread: can not access node on network

question can not access node on network

hello, i have a problem

i recently booted up a slightly older computer and joined it to my workgroup

this comp sits in the corner running, i use RDP to get to it, now when i ping this new computer it works, but if i try to ping the name it wount work, i try then to connect to it (RUN>\\eslataru) and it does not work it says "the network location could not be reached" i try this again with the ip (RUN>\\192.168.1.105) and it says the same thing

however i am able to use RDP and get to the desktop just fine,

when i go through any "network browser" (like windows explorer, or cain) i can not see the newcomputer

basicly

comp A (my normal everyday comp) can not see comp B (the recent boot up) or comp C (my fathers computer)

but comp B and comp C work with each other fine (windows explorer, streaming video ETC.)

comp A = windows media center 05 release
    comp b = windows xp pro sp3
    comp c = windows xp pro sp3

any help would be great, and i will be checking back and making updates to my situation, also if you need any more info to help figure this out just ask

Re: can not access node on network

Can you tell some more details about your setup like how the computer's are connected (wired or wireless) via (router or switch) ? Have you tried pinging all the computers with each other ?

Re: can not access node on network

Can I connect a new PC running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 to a work network or domain?

While you can access network resources on a work network or a domain, you cannot join a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 PC to the domain. PCs running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 are designed specifically for home use. Windows XP Professional features, specifically Domain Join and Cached Credentials (Credentials Manager for logons) are not included. As a result, you will be prompted for your logon user name and password to access network resources after you reboot or log back on to the PC. In addition, file shares or network resources that are set to require a domain-joined PC for access will not be available. Remote Desktop and Encrypting File System support are still included.
    More information over here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/m...ation/faq.mspx