Thread: Access to Workgroup computers in Windows Xp

Access to Workgroup computers in Windows Xp

I need help viewing all computers on workgroup. Set up home network from Desktop computer running windows xp home with a laptop running windows xp Home and another desktop running Windows xp Pro. I can share priter on main computer with all computers and can access shared folders both from all computers except i can not open the computer or view shared folders on the computer running windows xp pro from any of the other computers. I can view shared folders on all computers from the windows xp computer. Any way to access the xp pro from the computers running xp home?

Re: Access to Workgroup computers in Windows Xp

Addl info: All computers are visible in the workgroup windows on each computer. All have different name and assigned to same work group. Just can not access the computer running xp pro from any of the other computers running xp home. Can access all the xp home computers from the xp pro computer. No password used on any computer login all guest accounts are turned on. all have adminstrative rights

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleman View Post
    I need help viewing all computers on workgroup. Set up home network from Desktop computer running windows xp home with a laptop running windows xp Home and another desktop running Windows xp Pro. I can share priter on main computer with all computers and can access shared folders both from all computers except i can not open the computer or view shared folders on the computer running windows xp pro from any of the other computers. I can view shared folders on all computers from the windows xp computer. Any way to access the xp pro from the computers running xp home?
    The most likely problem is that firewall on the XP Pro computer is blocking access. Make sure that any firewall program (Windows Firewall, Norton, McAfee, ZoneAlarm, etc) is configured to allow access over the network. Note that some recent antivirus programs have a firewall component, such as Norton Antivirus' "Internet Worm Protection".

Firewall in mcafee virus software is turned off also tried with windows firewall turned off on xp pro computer but still unable to access from others. when i try i recieve reply that says "that computer is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."

Firewall in mcafee virus software is turned off also tried with windows firewall turned off on xp pro computer but still unable to access from others. when i try i recieve reply that says "that computer is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."
    The "Logon failure" message indicates a specific problem and solution
    on the XP Pro computer that can't be accessed. Run the Network Setup Wizard on that computer, reboot it, and see if the problem is fixed. If it isn't:

1. Click Start > Run, type "secpol.msc" in the box, and click OK.
    2. Click Local Policies.
    3. Click User Rights Assignment.
    4. Click "Access this computer from the network" and make sure that the Everyone group is included.
    5. Click "Deny access to this computer from the network" and make sure that the Everyone group is NOT included.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco-D View Post
    The "Logon failure" message indicates a specific problem and solution
    on the XP Pro computer that can't be accessed. Run the Network Setup Wizard on that computer, reboot it, and see if the problem is fixed. If it isn't:

1. Click Start > Run, type "secpol.msc" in the box, and click OK.
    2. Click Local Policies.
    3. Click User Rights Assignment.
    4. Click "Access this computer from the network" and make sure that the Everyone group is included.
    5. Click "Deny access to this computer from the network" and make sure that the Everyone group is NOT included.
    That was it! Everyone group was missing from access. Added everyone and it works perfectly. Great Job thanks for the assistance.

That was it! Everyone group was missing from access. Added everyone and it works perfectly. Great Job thanks for the assistance.
    You're welcome. I'm glad that my suggestion helped you solve the problem,