Thread: Internet connectivity mystery

Internet connectivity mystery

I'm not sure exactly what is relevant, so I'll start at the beginning. I have a Sony Vaio SB430 N/B and am using vista.

I'm a college student and last Tuesday I went home for Thanksgiving. Our internet at home had been changed and the settings for the wireless connection we had there didn't match settings I had for wireless networks, so it wouldn't let me connect. Shortly thereafter no wireless connections were working. I had an ethernet cable, however, and that worked fine.

I got back to school yesterday and neither ethernet nor wireless connections will work. No wireless connections even show. Ethernet connection shows as "Local Only" and "Unidentified". Also, any time I plug in ethernet, it connects me to *two* networks. The "Unidentified" and a "Network 5". I can't seem to connect to one and not the other. If I click for information on the networks, it says something about being connected to a "Whitney's computer", which I definitely shouldn't be. I don't even know anybody named whitney.

I checked Device Manager and it said, under network connections, that Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #5 isn't working properly. I tried disabling it, but nothing was fixed. So I tried looking for a solution and ... no beans. Computer said it was up to date.

.. .does anybody have any suggestions?

Re: Internet connectivity mystery

just shooting off the hip , But I recall a known issue in Vista regrading switching between wired and wireless connections.

If I am remembering the fix it was disable all nics, reboot and then enable the one you want to use, reboot and work from there.

Quote Originally Posted by shelofa View Post
    Our internet at home had been changed and the settings for the wireless connection we had there didn't match settings I had for wireless networks, so it wouldn't let me connect.
    Could you tell us how or who changed your wireless settings?

Quote Originally Posted by shelofa View Post
    I checked Device Manager and it said, under network connections, that Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #5 isn't working properly. I tried disabling it, but nothing was fixed. So I tried looking for a solution and ... no beans. Computer said it was up to date.
    So you are saying that your computer is up-to-date with wireless network card drivers? If that's true than uninstall the driver and reinstall it, just to confirm that the drivers were properly installed or not corrupted.

You can also try to do a system restore to a point previous to the day this problem started.

First try to determine whether you can connect to the Internet.
    You should first try to determine whether you can connect to the Internet. If you can connect, the error message is obviously incorrect. If that is the case, you might want to disable the error message. To disable the error message, follow these steps.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type ncpa.cpl, and then press ENTER. The Network Connections dialog box opens.
    3. Double-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
    4. On the General tab, click to clear the Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity check box.
    5. Click OK, and then click Close.

For more and details description please visit the following link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892896