Thread: ethernet problem - glibc detected

ethernet problem - glibc detected

I have a problem since this morning because I can not connect to the Internet. I used to dual boot Windows and Mepis7.0 (based on Debian). Following the installation / uninstall Compiz-Fusion fglrx driver and I lost the internet connection on Windows and Linux. After a day of multiple relocations of Windows and Linux in single or dual boot, the connection functioned from Windows. As against Linux since the interface eth0 is indicated "connection established," there are a few kilobytes of data and outgoing but no Internet access, however. This morning when I use a Knoppix 5.1 Live, I can connect. As soon as I installed Knoppix, it was again connected. I then inserted the CD MEPIS, and there was no connection. I installed MEPIS still with no connection. I just started it and there I got an error message:

Clocksource tsc unstable (delta =- 73619064 ns)
    *** glibc detected *** double free or corruption (! prev) = 0x0805dd70 ***
    (!) [1709: 0.000] -> caught signal 6 (unknown origin) <--

It seems to me that yesterday I had glibc installed when you install compiz and I did not uninstall this morning but then came up with the problem of connection. Could you please help me because I prefer to use Linux instead of Windows without Internet connection is not possible because I can not load of packages or cannot Update.

Thank you

Re: ethernet problem - glibc detected

Some details, I naturally did format that is why I do not understand that it can remain traces of a previous installation?
    I'm on a laptop HP Compaq nx8220.
    ATI Mobility Radeon X600
    Ethernet controller: Broadcom NetXtreme Copr BCM5751M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 11)
    Dual boot: XP and Linux (XP connection is ok and Linux is the only thing that does not work)
    I saw on the forum of the similar type of topics spoken on programming problem "detected glibc" but it is programming and it's very sharp! But as I understand it could be a problem of allocating memory. How to completely reset the memory? Are there software that could do this? Thank you

Re: ethernet problem - glibc detected

I have read your message through to understand what might be related to equipment.

In the first place you should be accurate if you are using the ethernet or wifi to login?

Then, if it is an ethernet connection that you speak the ethernet controller Broadcom NetXtreme Copr BCM5751M may indeed no longer be functional after an upgrade your system (a change of Kernel for example) - has nothing to do with compiz.

It is rare to have an ethernet controller not working under linux but it can still occur. With regard to your hardware it has normally provided for tg3 module (which is present in the kernel 2.6.12)

Ethernet controller: Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet Tigon3
    This is handled by the tg3 driver, present in Linux 2.6.12, and seems to work fine out of the box. I've only tested it with 100 Mbps yet, though.

Now if your ethernet card is recognized as MEPIS but it does not work you can follow the advice: http://www.mepis.org/