Thread: QoS Packet Handling in Windows xp

QoS Packet Handling in Windows xp

I have Windows XP, Home Edition, on a Dell 4700. There is no connection to any other computer. I am on a 756k DSL.and I have sent an email attachment of about 6.5 mb that takes nearly 30 minutes. When I look at networking under Task Manager, the Network Utilization averages about 0.03%.

When I disable QoS Packet Handler in Network Connections, the Network Utilization goes up to about 0.50% (over 10 times faster) and the file is sent in under four minutes. However, the problem returns, seemingly on a random basis.

Then, I also disabled QoS RSVP in services.msc which seemed to solve the problem.But, again, the problem returns on a random basis. In trying to figure out what happens when it is running so slow, I have turned on the QoS Packet Handler and immediately turned it off.That made it run at the higher speed. But, then the problem returns again. What starts QoS? Is there a way to permanently disable it without uninstalling it? To avoid uninstalling QoS (since it might be a real problem if I need to reinstall it), what might happen if I simply rename the executable RSVP.exe? Or is there another solution? This one is driving me nuts. I sincerely appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Re: QoS Packet Handling in Windows xp

Quote Originally Posted by bobmitch View Post
    I have Windows XP, Home Edition, on a Dell 4700. There is no connection to any other computer. I am on a 756k DSL.and I have sent an email attachment of about 6.5 mb that takes nearly 30 minutes. When I look at networking under Task Manager, the Network Utilization averages about 0.03%.

When I disable QoS Packet Handler in Network Connections, the Network Utilization goes up to about 0.50% (over 10 times faster) and the file is sent in under four minutes. However, the problem returns, seemingly on a random basis.

Then, I also disabled QoS RSVP in services.msc which seemed to solve the problem.But, again, the problem returns on a random basis. In trying to figure out what happens when it is running so slow, I have turned on the QoS Packet Handler and immediately turned it off.That made it run at the higher speed. But, then the problem returns again. What starts QoS? Is there a way to permanently disable it without uninstalling it? To avoid uninstalling QoS (since it might be a real problem if I need to reinstall it), what might happen if I simply rename the executable RSVP.exe? Or is there another solution? This one is driving me nuts. I sincerely appreciate any guidance you can offer.
    QoS is Quality of Service scheduler and requires a router with the 'server' feature on it. It is used the "shape" the Internet traffic going in/out but placing a priority to different Internet protocol. Usually usefully is setting Internet priority so that high volume traffic (VoIP) can use your Internet access before your other Internet accesses. If you do not have a router or your router does not use QoS, you can uncheck it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco-D View Post
    QoS is Quality of Service scheduler and requires a router with the 'server' feature on it. It is used the "shape" the Internet traffic going in/out but placing a priority to different Internet protocol. Usually usefully is setting Internet priority so that high volume traffic (VoIP) can use your Internet access before your other Internet accesses. If you do not have a router or your router does not use QoS, you can uncheck it.
    Thank you. However, I understand what QoS is. However, that doesn't deal with the question of how to turn it off permanently (but not uninstalling it). Note that I am not networked to any other computer or server. I use email and the web only.Simply unchecking QoS does not turn it off and disabling it in services.msc does not prevent it from somehow restarting.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmitch View Post
    Thank you. However, I understand what QoS is. However, that doesn't deal with the question of how to turn it off permanently (but not uninstalling it). Note that I am not networked to any other computer or server. I use email and the web only.Simply unchecking QoS does not turn it off and disabling it in services.msc does not prevent it from somehow restarting.
    AFAIK, rsvp is no longer in use for WinXP and Vista. Maybe you have registry settings (group policy?) that cause throttling by the QoS scheduler (a.k.a. psched). The qos scheduler is optional, you can disable it unless you know you need it for something specific (games, voip...)