Thread: Port - Based vlan and Tag - Based vlan

Port - Based vlan and Tag - Based vlan

Hi, i am New to networking and Learning all its Basics on my Own. and i have this doubt about port - based vlan and tag - based vlan So i wanna know the Difference Between port - based vlan and tag - based vlan?

What i understand is Till Now is that

1. port-based vlan is old ( introduce before 802.3q) currently on the market every switch is tag-based vlan,

Is it right?

2. port-based vlan no pvid concept and can not support trunk (talk between vlans)

Any opinion?

Re: Port - Based vlan and Tag - Based vlan

Quote Originally Posted by Dadhij View Post
    Hi, i am New to networking and Learning all its Basics on my Own. and i have this doubt about port - based vlan and tag - based vlan So i wanna know the Difference Between port - based vlan and tag - based vlan?

What i understand is Till Now is that

1. port-based vlan is old ( introduce before 802.3q) currently on the market every switch is tag-based vlan,

Is it right?

2. port-based vlan no pvid concept and can not support trunk (talk between vlans)

Any opinion?
    Port based VLANs are usually the way VLANs are implemented between the switch and the end system. 802.1Q is typically used between switches, in the trunk segments. You can also support multiple VLANs on a segment without depending on the 802.1Q VLAN tag, though. Your would need some other mechanism than just the switch port number, as a way of differentiating. For example, even without a VLAN tag, you can use MAC addresses (source and destination) or you can use IP addresses (source and destination) to make VLAN decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by DAIJIRO View Post
    Port based VLANs are usually the way VLANs are implemented between the switch and the end system. 802.1Q is typically used between switches, in the trunk segments. You can also support multiple VLANs on a segment without depending on the 802.1Q VLAN tag, though. Your would need some other mechanism than just the switch port number, as a way of differentiating. For example, even without a VLAN tag, you can use MAC addresses (source and destination) or you can use IP addresses (source and destination) to make VLAN decisions.
    Vlan can based on port,mac and protocols. What i like to know is switches on the market whether they still supportport based vlan or not? To make things easy, the tag does not only work between swiches also works between switch to end system. Am i right? Do most vendors replace port based vlan to tag based vlan? (based on new ethernet interface chips?)

Quote Originally Posted by Dadhij View Post
    Vlan can based on port,mac and protocols. What i like to know is switches on the market whether they still supportport based vlan or not? To make things easy, the tag does not only work between swiches also works between switch to end system. Am i right? Do most vendors replace port based vlan to tag based vlan? (based on new ethernet interface chips?)
    Oh, okay, yes, switches certainly do still support port-based VLANs. As far as I can tell, they are still the most common way to get hosts onto a particular VLAN. Whether 802.1Q VLANs will eventually displace all port-based VLANs between hosts and switches, I'm not sure. It's possible. You'd have to start seeing VLAN IDs being provided via DHCP, for instance, or some other dynamic means, before hosts go in a big way to 802.1Q, I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by DAIJIRO View Post
    Oh, okay, yes, switches certainly do still support port-based VLANs. As far as I can tell, they are still the most common way to get hosts onto a particular VLAN. Whether 802.1Q VLANs will eventually displace all port-based VLANs between hosts and switches, I'm not sure. It's possible. You'd have to start seeing VLAN IDs being provided via DHCP, for instance, or some other dynamic means, before hosts go in a big way to 802.1Q, I would think.
    Cisco support two types ethernet interface on their switches. access port and trunk port. Is the access port based on port vlan or tag vlan? The trunk port should be based on tag.