Thread: How do I wirelessly network my laptop if my router does not have usb ?

How do I wirelessly network my laptop if my router does not have usb ?

I just bought a second laptop and I am trying to wirelessly network it with the first one.My network setup wizard is telling me that there are four steps involved.

1. Insert usb flash into first computer.

2. Insert usb flash in to router.

3. Insert usb flash in to laptop.

4. Insert usb flash back in to original computer.

The problem I am having is that my router (Linksy's WRT54G) does not have a usb drive. How can I resolve this? My cable modem has a usb, but it is the pentagonal shaped receptacle, not the flat usb receptacle that matches the usb flash drive. This is not my first time networking computers together, I am assuming my downloading of service pack 2 for XP added the usb netwrok settings transfer in the wizard? Before I would just run the wizard and make sure they were all on the same workgroup.Please help!

Re: How do I wirelessly network my laptop if my router does not have usb ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post
    I just bought a second laptop and I am trying to wirelessly network it with the first one.My network setup wizard is telling me that there are four steps involved.

1. Insert usb flash into first computer.

2. Insert usb flash in to router.

3. Insert usb flash in to laptop.

4. Insert usb flash back in to original computer.

The problem I am having is that my router (Linksy's WRT54G) does not have a usb drive. How can I resolve this? My cable modem has a usb, but it is the pentagonal shaped receptacle, not the flat usb receptacle that matches the usb flash drive. This is not my first time networking computers together, I am assuming my downloading of service pack 2 for XP added the usb netwrok settings transfer in the wizard? Before I would just run the wizard and make sure they were all on the same workgroup.Please help!
    The only reason that the Wireless Networking Wizard asks for a USB flash drive is so that you won't have to strain your brain (or use something primitive like a pencil and a piece of paper) to remember theSSID and password that you configured when you first set up your wireless network. Because you've already configured your router, you don't need to do it again when you add the next computer. In fact, you really don't need to run this "Wizard" on the new laptop at all. Just ensure that the wireless adapter in the new laptop is turned on, go to Start > Connect to and you should see the list of available wireless networks. Select yours, enter your password when asked, and click OK. You're connected and should be able to get to the Internet. Now, if you want to share files and printers in addition to being connected to your wireless network for purposes of Internet access, then run the "Network Setup Wizard." This is not the same as the "Wireless Networking Wizard."

Re: How do I wirelessly network my laptop if my router does not have usb ?

Also Checkout Below Link it can help you http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx