Thread: Cable Networking Problems

Cable Networking Problems

I at one time networked a Windows XP PC to a Windows 2000 PC using an Ethernet cable. I did not find it easy, but it was finally very successful. Recently after replacing the Windows 2000 PC with Windows Vista laptop, and again tried to network it to the XP machine. I assumed it would be much easier – and it was, and both machines now share the Internet and use Email and share a printer, but even though both machines are enabled for file sharing. I cannot actually share files and get to programs from one to the other. Neither PC’s can see each other in the Mshome Workgroup When I did this before I could use programs which were not shared and in fact access from one to the other was almost total.What have I done wrong, can anyone help?

Re: Cable Networking Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Aarif View Post
    I at one time networked a Windows XP PC to a Windows 2000 PC using an Ethernet cable. I did not find it easy, but it was finally very successful. Recently after replacing the Windows 2000 PC with Windows Vista laptop, and again tried to network it to the XP machine. I assumed it would be much easier – and it was, and both machines now share the Internet and use Email and share a printer, but even though both machines are enabled for file sharing. I cannot actually share files and get to programs from one to the other. Neither PC’s can see each other in the Mshome Workgroup When I did this before I could use programs which were not shared and in fact access from one to the other was almost total.What have I done wrong, can anyone help?
    What version of Vista are you using?

This may be a permission issue. First, set the permissions to "Everyone" then go to the Security Tab, click edit and add "Everyone" in the box. Apply these settings.