Thread: Open Shortest Path First and Integrated Services Digital Network backup

Open Shortest Path First and Integrated Services Digital Network backup

My Friend company is having a network that uses Open Shortest Path First. We have two central sites that our site routers dial in through Integrated Services Digital Network for backup.I was wondering how many of you are running Open Shortest Path First over Integrated Services Digital Network (used as backup). How would I go about setting up ospf to run over isdn to work well. We are currently using floating static routes and use RIP version 2 to redistribute back to ospf when the rip routes show up (when primary circuit is down). I was wondering if there is a way to set this up using ospf instead of RIP. a while back we were using EIGRP and things were working great, ( isdn would kick in and routes would be there instantly, possibly because of EIGRP successor and feasible successor deal) but due to the carrier we were forced into OSPF.

Let me know if you guys have any ideas or config examples or web
    pages that would address my issue.

Thank you in Advance

Re: Open Shortest Path First and Integrated Services Digital Network backup

Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    My Friend company is having a network that uses Open Shortest Path First. We have two central sites that our site routers dial in through Integrated Services Digital Network for backup.I was wondering how many of you are running Open Shortest Path First over Integrated Services Digital Network (used as backup). How would I go about setting up ospf to run over isdn to work well. We are currently using floating static routes and use RIP version 2 to redistribute back to ospf when the rip routes show up (when primary circuit is down). I was wondering if there is a way to set this up using ospf instead of RIP. a while back we were using EIGRP and things were working great, ( isdn would kick in and routes would be there instantly, possibly because of EIGRP successor and feasible successor deal) but due to the carrier we were forced into OSPF.

Thank you in Advance
    What does ISDN has to do with with ? Once ISDN is up I think of it as piece of wire or a Circuit. Any protocol should be able to flow through it. Can you ping across it?

Thank you in Advance

What difference does it make what protocol the carrier is using? Our WAN is MPLS(Multiprotocol Label Switching) and they only support BGP, but we still use EIGRP as our routing protocol (we redistribute between EIGRP and BGP when talking to the carriers), and we still use EIGRP for our ISDN backup.

Thank you in Advance
    I have never done this however I seem to recall a couple of things. I am sure there are documents "OSPF over demand circuits". Would just making the OSPF traffic NOT -"interesting" to the dialer work - on top of your floating static routes? i.e. exclude OSPF from the dialer list.Cant think why not - but I could well be wrong.