Thread: IPv6 Study

IPv6 Study

I am currently deploying IPv6 in my business. I set up a model (IPv6 connections to 6to4 sixx). My router is based on Linux + radvd daemon.

RAs arrive well auto configuration works. Incidentally, for vista, IPv4 must be functional to take an IPv6 address!

The machines take their IPv6 addresses, IPv4 not yet. I set up a DNS server on my Linux machine, I configured the clients to use the correct DNS server (and yes for the moment it's full IPv6)

I would like to get the addresses of IPv6 DNS servers by DHCPv6. Neither one nor two. I install a windows server 2008, by the way I usually DHCPv4 server + DNS. Machinery chope their IPv4 address, the DNS is updated with names of machines.

For IPv4 everything is OK

DHCPv6 then I turned the role on the server, I have put any extent because I hope that the addresses are obtained by the RA. Yet I see no "DHCPv6 request. This means that customers are unaware of the presence of a DHCPv6.

In searching on the net, it would indicate to the router using DHCPv6. So I ask myself:

Is it possible to configure the network for IPv6 addresses that are obtained from RA and obtain DNS server address by DHCPv6?

Re: IPv6 Study

I did not remember this kind of thing. Seems to me that you need to configure the dhcp server and the RA on the same server. But I have not rechecked.

Try it in radvd.conf in the section of your interface

AdvManagedFlag on | off

When set, hosts use the administered (stateful) protocol for address autoconfiguration in addition to any autoconfigured addresses using stateless address autoconfiguration. The use of this flag is described in RFC 2462.

Default: off

Thank you in the meantime I had found. And it works:
    http://blogs.technet.com/teamdhcp/ar...ows-vista.aspx

In fact we must position the flags:
    AdvManagedFlag off

AdvOtherConfigFlag on

The client will find much info on the config.
    This is the method should be used if you want to do the Full IPv6 with vista, it retrieves the addresses of DNS servers in this way.

But against the DNS is not updated. For example, if my client is foo.ipv6.local But DNS server on my recording does not appear. I continue my investigation!

Configuring the router so that clients get their IP from there and DHCPv6 records dating back well into the DNS.

Problem: How do the records go back in the DNS where the client obtains the IP routers and info (dns server) by the DHCPv6?

Normally (under windows) is the score that registers in the DNS server directly (A and PTR, AAAA or here) (unless the options dhcp say the opposite). In the properties of your network card, see if it is marked it should register in the dns.

Boxes are checked and in the case of a configuration DHCPv6 Stateless + (without scope IPv6) I do not update DNS. The customer is under vista pro

With wireshark see if you have request? (at a plug, an ipconfig / registerdns etc.)

I found it was necessary to manually specify the DNS suffixes on the server and the client. Now I am currently looking for Linux dhcp6c.