Thread: Simple file sharing in XP

Simple file sharing in XP

I have a workgroup here with the following setup:

It has 5 computers On a Workgroup.Each user has a PC, and one logon per machine, which is the first name of the person that uses that machine, ie john. There is no password reqiured when logging on.The machines are running on windows XP.The problems started when one of the of the computers needed to be formatted. This was done, and the computer was given the same computer name and put on the same workgroup.Now the formatted computer, lets call it PC1 can see all the shares onthe rest of the network, but nobody can see the shares on PC1 (I did recreate them - its mainly just the My Doc folder) So I manually added the shares on the other PC's from within My Network Places > Add Network Place. That worked. Now the only problem really seems to be that if I go to another PC, say PC2, and try to browse the workgroup (via View Workgroup Computers) I can see PC1, but when I click on it I get something to the effect of "Cannot view \\PC1 .....access denied" Now I checked that I have go File and Printer Sharing Installed, and the other thing the MS KB article said to do was to make sure netbios over TCP/IP was enabled and it is.I am wondering if its something to do with Local Security Policy or Shared Folder Setup in computer management? So to summarise, I can PING, and I can connect to SMB shares, but cantbrowse the formatted PC, PC1, in the list of computers in WORKGROUP.
    Please help,

Cheers

Re: Simple file sharing in XP

Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    I have a workgroup here with the following setup:

It has 5 computers On a Workgroup.Each user has a PC, and one logon per machine, which is the first name of the person that uses that machine, ie john. There is no password reqiured when logging on.The machines are running on windows XP.The problems started when one of the of the computers needed to be formatted. This was done, and the computer was given the same computer name and put on the same workgroup.Now the formatted computer, lets call it PC1 can see all the shares onthe rest of the network, but nobody can see the shares on PC1 (I did recreate them - its mainly just the My Doc folder) So I manually added the shares on the other PC's from within My Network Places > Add Network Place. That worked. Now the only problem really seems to be that if I go to another PC, say PC2, and try to browse the workgroup (via View Workgroup Computers) I can see PC1, but when I click on it I get something to the effect of "Cannot view \\PC1 .....access denied" Now I checked that I have go File and Printer Sharing Installed, and the other thing the MS KB article said to do was to make sure netbios over TCP/IP was enabled and it is.I am wondering if its something to do with Local Security Policy or Shared Folder Setup in computer management? So to summarise, I can PING, and I can connect to SMB shares, but cantbrowse the formatted PC, PC1, in the list of computers in WORKGROUP.
    Please help,

Cheers
    Did you check then any Firewall or internet security software settings denying you access? and also did you tried Using simple file sharing (Recommended) box. please checkout get back here.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco-D View Post
    Did you check then any Firewall or internet security software settings denying you access? and also did you tried Using simple file sharing (Recommended) box. please checkout get back here.
    Yes i has checked SFS (simple file sharing ) and other setting as well they are all on. any other suggestions pls help.

Yes i has checked SFS (simple file sharing ) and other setting as well they are all on. any other suggestions pls help.
    Make sure that the "Computer Browser" service is started and running automatically in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco-D View Post
    Make sure that the "Computer Browser" service is started and running automatically in the background.
    Yes my "Computer Browser" service is started and running automatically in the background.

Yes my "Computer Browser" service is started and running automatically in the background.
    If that is working,then the problem you described is probably caused by a
    registry setting. Run the registry editor on PC1 and open this key:

HLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA

Set the value RestrictAnonymous to 0.
    Reboot and try browsing PC1 again.