Thread: Printing Remotely

Printing Remotely

I'd like to be able to print to my home networked printers from outside my LAN. I have a dynamic IP from my ISP and I've made an account with dyndns.o*g to facilitate a static IP. My router does accommodate DDNS and I've set that up but I don't know what to do next. I know this is a wireless group but part of my solution will involve wireless networking. Can someone point me to a tutorial or procedure to set up my home network and laptop to allow printing remotely? Thank you.

Re: Printing Remotely

One solution could be to set up a vpn access to your lan, set up the printer accross the vpn link. When your out connect to the net, make the link via vpn to your network, then print. If your running xp follow the instruction to set up vpn.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleman View Post
    I'd like to be able to print to my home networked printers from outside my LAN. I have a dynamic IP from my ISP and I've made an account with dyndns.o*g to facilitate a static IP. My router does accommodate DDNS and I've set that up but I don't know what to do next. I know this is a wireless group but part of my solution will involve wireless networking. Can someone point me to a tutorial or procedure to set up my home network and laptop to allow printing remotely? Thank you.
    Read about Internet Printing Protocol (IPP): on Wikipedia.Presumably, your unspecified model router, unspecified printers, and unspecified operating systems all support IPP.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Read about Internet Printing Protocol (IPP): on Wikipedia.Presumably, your unspecified model router, unspecified printers, and unspecified operating systems all support IPP.
    yes. I had looked at IPP via the wikipedia link. I couldn't figure out how to implement that protocol with my XP Media and Vista lap tops, printing to my HP 2600N laser and C7280 inkjet printers when away from my home network which uses a Zyxel X550 router to facilitate the DSL signal from my ISP. Thanks and I'll look more into IPP but I get the feeling that its something the OS uses when printing remotely all on its own and not something optionally invoke as part of the solution I'm looking to create. Another problem I have is testing. I wonder if there is a way to test the remote printing capabilities aside from packing my laptop and driving to Starbucks each time I want to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco-D View Post
    One solution could be to set up a vpn access to your lan, set up the printer accross the vpn link. When your out connect to the net, make the link via vpn to your network, then print. If your running xp follow the instruction to set up vpn.
    Thanks. Yes, I'm looking into VPN and that seems to be the only way to set this up. What ports do I open up to print to my HP laserjet printer remotely? I'll want this to work with XP Media and Vista laptops I currently own. One problem is testing. Is there a way to test out a VPN while within the very network I want to communicate remotely with? While I'm still fumbling around with this I don't want to have to drive to Starbucks or some other wifi hotspot every time to log into another network just to find that what I've done so far is not working

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleman View Post
    Thanks. Yes, I'm looking into VPN and that seems to be the only way to set this up. What ports do I open up to print to my HP laserjet printer remotely? I'll want this to work with XP Media and Vista laptops I currently own. One problem is testing. Is there a way to test out a VPN while within the very network I want to communicate remotely with? While I'm still fumbling around with this I don't want to have to drive to Starbucks or some other wifi hotspot every time to log into another network just to find that what I've done so far is not working

You need to set your printer as a shared printer on one of your pc's, create a 'dial-in' connection (use the wizard in xp) and create another account for yourself that is allowed vpn access on the same machine.The reason for doing this is that should your connection get compromised you are not going to give anyone full access to your own account. On the mobile machine you will be taking with you (presumably laptop)..... you hould now create a vpn network connection that you can connect to. Once connected, use the add printer wizard or browse for a printer on your new vpn connection. Its fairly simple to do, but I cant help with vista ....... I dont use vista .