Thread: Spanning tree

Spanning tree

I have turned spanning tree off with the following command on a new cisco 3750 switch running IOS 12.1. is has 5 vlans defined on it.

no spanning-tree vlan 1

sw#sh spanning-tree

Spanning tree 1 is not currently active
    The following parameters have been configured :

Stp Status : Disabled
    Protocol : IEEE
    Max Age (sec) : 20
    Hello time (sec) : 2
    Forward Delay (sec): 15
    Bridge Priority : 32768

I still see that BPDUs are received on the switch and just the other day we had a problem where the other end of our uplink switch port was (managed by other group) set into trunk mode and that took us down with the following messages in the logs.

Received 802.1Q BPDU on non trunk FastEthernet0/11 on vlan 2.
    00:25:00: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PORT_TYPE: Blocking FastEthernet0/11 on
    vlan 2.
    Inconsistent port type.

we then had to call the other group and had them put the port back to whatever state it was in before and that brought the link bak up. question is, is there anything I can do on this end to make sure that I ignore the BPDUs received? I thought I turned spanning tree off here but aparantly I receive BPDUs!!!

Re: Spanning tree

With the command "no spanning-tree vlan 1' you only disabled spanning-tree for vlan 1. If the 3750 is like almost all other Cisco
    switches it does PVST, which is Per-VLAN Spanning-Tree. PVST means there is an instance of the Spanning-Tree algorithm running on every VLAN. So with your configuration you can still receive BPDUs and send out BPDUs your 4 additional VLANs. The error message you reference below indicates the BPDU is an 802.1q packet on VLAN 2. So to ignore all BPDUs, you will need to disable spanning-tree on all VLANs. I am not sure if that turning off BPDUs is going to solve your problem with the error messages you referenced, because regardless of whether you get an 802.1q BPDU or just an 802.1q packet, as soon as that access link receives the 802.1q encapsulated packet, you will probably get the same error. The problem there is more-than-likely that the other end somehow thought it was an 802.1q trunk and was trying to send encapsulated packets to your FastEthernet0/11 which I am assuming is configured as an access link for VLAN 2.I have not specifically worked with Catalyst 3750s so maybe some things have changed in this newer switch, but that's what the problem appears to be.

Good Luck

Re: Spanning tree

Thanks,that was helpfull. yes the port on my side was an 'access'port I turned off spanning tree on all vlans. I still need to find out if
    there is any way to just ignore BPDUs received on that port, is this do able with access lists or access lists are just for layer3?