Thread: Activepak

Activepak

I saw a new computer protection product advertised on the telly recently called Activepak. It's supposed to protect computers from hackers, intruders and dangerous programs (do they mean viruses?) and ensures my "security and privacy." It also claims to speed up my internet connections, and computer. It also comes with another program that protects kids online and allows parents to monitor their activity online. I'm curious because on the telly ad they claim it's free, (just pay shipping) but on their webpage www.activepak.com they imply its a free "TRIAL" for a subsription service. That doesn't quite make sense to me. The tone of the webpage is sort of like some of the spam I get in email with all sorts of "testimonials," which may or may not be for real. Unlike the anonymous spammers, the webpage gives a parent company with a real address and also the fact that they advertise on TV proves they are for real and not just fly-by-night scammers.
    Even so, my thought is that they are claiming just a bit too much. What I'd like to know is if anybody had any actual experience with this software, or with the company that sells it? Does the software work as advertised?

Thanks for your opinions.

Re: Activepak

As an active, IT professional, I am sure that this product, if it did all it says it does, would be advertised to the hilt in Professional IT Trade magazines. I subscribe/receive over a dozen of the industry trade rags, and no one ever said anything about a miracle product such as these. While they may have lofty goals, it is almost too good to by true.My experience tells me that if it too good to be true, it probably is. If it is free, you could try it, but I would A) Backup my system (Use XP's recovery service)
    B) Not put in a credit card, as some trials do (Free for
    10 days, unless you cancel, and then it is $24.95/month).
    C) look for other
    "INDEPENDENT" reviews. The magazine sites - PCWORLD.COM, PCMAGAZINE, ZDNET,
    etc. should have a review if the product is worthy.
    I disagree with one thing though....just because a company sells on TV Infomercials, doesn't make it legitimate or good. Years ago, I bought the Magic Television Antenna. This device plugs into your House Wiring (110volts), and then into your Antenna connection of your TV. They sold thousands on TV. We happened to live in a No Signal Area (Serviced by Cable and Sattelite TV only) due to hills blocking the signal. We wanted to watch the Olympics one year....bought one of the Magic devices, and the signal was no better than a pair of rabbit ears.

If you want to make sure then go through so as to get the trial but just before the part where you enter the credit card press back so you can return to the homepage where you will find a surprize in the internet meter. (i only made an account just to warn you so i will not be back to see the response am just telling you what i know and believe because it is theoretically impossible or you would have seen it every where

Ok thanks for your suggestion.
    Last edited by Conrad; 25-10-2008 at 02:45 PM.