Thread: Ghost server

Ghost server

I work on a room in a college, my work is to format and reinstall 25 computers and create the network and all (this works will take some near 13G3 in the Hard Disk C the problem is that if I work on every post I may spend a whole week or more, I thought of working on a position to put an image using a Ghost Server working on the network (I speak LAN) and look here I have this software .i've su downloaded more than 5 times but the Ghost does not recognize the image by displaying a message (Image not valid).

I seek the version of Ghost Server I need.

Thank you.

The company allows that Ghost. Once the image has been created, you can get off on all the PCs at the same time.If you work in a college, you may be able to get through school. When I was in college, it was free thanks to agreements between Norton at the time and Education.

Anacron True Image can sometimes be easier, an FTP server (not necessarily local), a CD on each PC boot and roll around

If you use GHOST, attention to authorize the UniCat lebroadcast or on your router .

If you enjoyed an AD, you can use the Windows RIS Server ...

For my part, I opted for a TFTP server network using boot with which i excute ghost through Vista PE (very easy to add a network driver missing hot as in the boot image) and a USB key bootable (if I do not want the user to use smart boot)

The function of Ghost server I mentioned is the multicast option: the data is sent once a server and received in parallel by as many customer that you want. It allows you to enjoy the same bandwidth (and therefore the same time to install) if you did it between 2 PC.

The problem of ftp or FTTP is that if you make too many machines at the same time, the flow will collapse when the number of clients will increase.Everything will depend on the bandwidth available to your server.Surely if a 4 aggregated gigabit links, it will go. Surely if a 4 aggregated gigabit links, it will go. For the router, it is only if there is one between your image server and PC to install.But for the configuration I suppose there is a team in your school network that manages it.

The problem is that in school I suppose there is a router or a switch administrative and I do not let it pass multicast

Must actually see. For the router it surprise me, it is usually put in, not between the rooms. For the router it surprise me,. For the switches, they are certainly manageable default and multicast is allowed.Finally he needed to know how it is organized.

Anyway, since we spoke LAN, I tend to believe that all machines (those ghosts and the server) are in the same room on the same switch.Anyway if he needs to authorize the multicast, a request to the network team and it should be good.

You're right Milton.J we described a little more precise deployment SIMONTIC environment?

Alternatively, exit the disks of PCs and ghosts on a PC lab, is the fastest speed (you see even pass the aperitif )

When you have 25 machines to do, the faster it is to multicast. With the disk out, you'll save between 5 and 10 minutes per disc.Multiplied by 25 it gives between 2 hours and 4 hours just to the party ghost.Then add the disassembly / reassembly and launching of the ghost for each disc.

With multicast even 100 Mbit, you will take 15-20 minutes to worse for ALL PC. You just add time to boot each PC on a floppy / USB key Ghost.

That is the advantage of mulitcast. Customers enroll in a stream.The server then sends the data only once and each customer receives the same time.For the server as if it sent only its data to a single client.In short if for only 1 disc that goes much faster locally, once the number increases the multicast is the fastest by far.

it Network neutrality demands more than that, even for peer to peer that my request 32min, do not forget that there are two operating system installed on the same partition and full ago 13.5Go between the two most software installed (3Cd for Software).

So you think it will take 10min when it will be one computer and broadcasts on 25 computers, I think, even if 100Mb.
    the problem is that I put the image has spread a message posted (The format for Image and invalid) something like that, it can be compatible Version can be used,

Tuesday I will start the second room and I'm still lost, must find a sollution,
    PS: The computer room contains 25 + Switch (all computer are good and fix configuration)

I wish you a good Sunday .Thank you for all your answers and suggestions

Another question: I to install XP and W Lunix on the same partition C: and dimarrage be given the choice to choose what I want access system or I deverai install each system in a partition.
    I try and Xs2003 XP and it worked, the second room that I will start on Tuesday asking me to install both systems, thus saving time I came to ask your help because I have not mount cd with me otherwise I would have tried.

Thank you again for all times

With multicast, the same time there is a PC or 25. That's what I used to college when I was working and I reinstalled rooms 15 machines in 20 minutes.And it put 20 minutes there 2 or 15 PC to restore. And it put 20 minutes there 2 or 15 PC to restore. And if I remember correctly, my pictures were in the 10 GB (dual boot with 2000/Linux softwares and office development for Windows included).

After the exact time depends on the quality of your network, image compression and performance of servers.

So if you put 32 minutes peer to peer, you will multicast 32 minutes for your 25 machines. Multicast is multicasting.The server sends the data once the data is received in parallel and simultaneously by all PCs enrolled in the multicast stream.
    For your image problem, it must be created with the server version of Ghost that you use. For your image problem,
    That should solve your problem image invalid.

For Windows and Linux: one for each system. You first install Windows, Linux and then you have to start a screen allowing you to choose Linux or Windows.

To be stable and powerful 2 partition, attention against the choice to install GRUB to the MBR or partition, if VISTA imperative to score thereafter .... As against, I never asked deployment linux on network As against,

Thank you Milton.J, i will prepare for tuesday and if there is a problem i'll keep contact.ce course allows me to gain my skills and my knowledge on the Network and computer maintenance, but I would like to give a substance that I intend to come to France next year for a license, I had a subscription for the start of 2008/2009 but unfortunately I have not had the Visa and that's I work actuellement not to lose time and White spend a year.
    Thank you one more time and the second for your help .

Just asking. Do not let the 25 are identical machines (hardware) for the image works perfectly?

If your image is prepared with sysprep made just before 1 REBOOT, it automatically adjusts .The first phase of installation is dubbing files.

Options are a set unattended mode, it goes without saying...

It's very interesting, you do not know a kind of tutorial fnac? Because I know that at the time I set a machine as I wanted then I was a (somewhat like a master pc), then I put the same image on other PCs (I simply changing the key XP), but I had to order machines with the same ca hardware otherwise fair.