Thread: Difference between Fixed & Dynamic IP

Difference between Fixed & Dynamic IP

I would like to know what the main differences between these two types of IPs, including advantages and disadvantages. And also the main differences in terms of security.

The difference is that your fixed ip is static, never changes, while the other changes after some time of lease (cable), or when it negotiates a new connection (broadband).

The disadvantages of lump sum is a paid service that is expensive, and if being attacked with attacks on your machine your ip is always right.

The other is that if you have a page hosted by the ip after that you must always refer to the new ip, it's usually the most common.

I.E. in case of attack, static IP become more vulnerable. Is the page redirected by the browser by its own?

With variable, what happens is that whenever you change your IP, it change the pointer to your new ip provided by the Internet server. You can use the in-ip.org or the freedns to ask you these updates.

And in terms of security what will be more advantageous, Static IP or Dynamic?

Dynamic IP. It changes the IP and therefore old IP disappears so your location finding becomes tough and thus more secure.

The fixed IP is more advisable for those working with Web servers or even games.

A dynamic ip can also act just like a static ip, an example of this is if you are using a router. The router will hold your dynamaic ip and request it, at the end of your lease. most ISP will give you a 72 hour lease. There for if you are even though you are dynamic you ip does not change.

I would and do you static on the lan for things like printers, this will reduce less network broadcasting to the dhcp server as the devices are not requesting and ips

on the lan I use for web servers as I do not wish to to only rely on dns servers to connect my ip to my website. If your static the dns (domain name server) will associate static ip to web name hxxp://www.bahbahbah.com (I changed it so it would not become a hot link) you really are not going there but to the ip address.

which is better, my opinion static, if you under attack it is on because you have been targetted. It would not matter if you were dynamic as you would still be targetted.

the only advantage to using a dynamic ip is it allows individuals to connect to the internet, and to a network by the use of dhcp server so there is verutally little to be done by the user. as a IT admin over a network I could set the time of the leases from and hour to a year or even forever. ussually 24 hours but sometimes longer.

for the average user they would never be able to connect to the internet, as the would not no how to set up there staic ip/ subnet/gateway and the dns servers with ther internet provider.