Thread: Domain name transfer, ClientTransferProhibited?

Domain name transfer, ClientTransferProhibited?

My aunt had a domain registered (dont know the name now). I got expired after 1 year on Sep 1. She was not able to renew the registration of the domain on time. After that date, she's now trying to renew it but the concerned person says that they have locked the domain (hence ClientTransferProhibited) and are asking for $20 as a fee to allow transfer which also includes 1 year renewal fee. But I feel that they are trying to rip us off. Is this generally acceptable?
    "I'd rather be riding my bike thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my bike"

Yes, once the domain expires, you may have a grace period where you can re-register the domain (min 12 mths) and then move the domain away.

What we are thinking is to get a different person to have the domain register under. But to do this, it looks like we will have to pay $20 to the first company to renew it and then pay to another company to get it transferred to them. Isn't there any such way that we will have to pay only the second company to get it transferred to them?
    "I'd rather be riding my bike thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my bike"

If the first company is not allowing you to transfer the domain to another hosting company, than that might be as per their rule and you will need to just pay the amount

Domain registration and website hosting are 2 separate issues, even if some hosters (or registrars) sometimes bundle the 2 services.

What you need is to transfer the domain name registration to another registrar. Hosting also, but you can control that fully once you can control the domain registration.

The re-register should be no more than registering the domain normally, however you would kind of be at the whim of your current reseller in relation to this, as you either pay it - or lose the domain.

You can leave the domain and wait for the grace period to finish (can be up to 30 days from expiry) and renew it with your preferred registrar. But this is REALLY NOT RECOMMENDED! Someone will either beat you to it, or your reseller might do a GoDaddy, where they'll renew your domain for you and then sell it off to the highest bidder.