Thread: UPS email virus - ALERT

l33t UPS email virus - ALERT

An email is being sent to many users around the globe through UPS. It gives some email delivery problem as an email in your inbox and asks you to to open the attachment and correct & cross check the attachment for sending it again. But to alert you, this is a fake email which is not actually from UPS. The attachment they give contains viruses. If that attachment is opened, the virus loads unto your computer.

So be ALERT, dont open this email, directly delete it (from Trash as well).

Yogesh Guest
    I appreciate you Xeusion for alerting everyone .

Such email is spreading all around. There are many talks about it. Even one of my friend got such email and he opened the attachment (he was not aware of this fact). And not to mention that his computer is caught by viruses.

So please be aware friends. Dont open this email
    Delete it straight away
    Or else your divine computer will kick you off being affected by viruses

Thanks for that alert. Can anyone provide more details about such emails being sent in the name of UPS? For example it title or its current status or structure? If anyone knows more about this email, please mention here. It will help the masses.

Yogesh Guest
    My friend who received this email says the title was like 'UPS Tracking Number ...' and consisted of this kind of message inside "the parcel you sent on 1 July could not be delivered". Something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogesh A View Post
    My friend who received this email says the title was like 'UPS Tracking Number ...' and consisted of this kind of message inside "the parcel you sent on 1 July could not be delivered". Something like that.
    Thank you Yogesh for providing the details

I think this email is sent to those who are using or had used UPS service. I saw many such cases. I believe the email is not sent randomly. If I am wrong, please correct me.

I wondered if UPS was aware of this scam and so contacted UPS to inform them but to know that they already knew this. The also have posted a warning on their website for their users quoting -
    We have become aware there is a fraudulent email being sent that says it is coming from UPS and leads the reader to believe that a UPS shipment could not be delivered. The reader is advised to open an attachment reportedly containing a waybill for the shipment to be picked up.

This email attachment contains a virus. We recommend that you do not open the attachment, but delete the email immediately.

UPS may send official notification messages on occasion, but they rarely include attachments. If you receive a notification message that includes an attachment and are in doubt about its authenticity, please contact UPS at https://www.ups.com/forms/e-mail/general_intl?loc=en_gb.

Please note that UPS takes its customer relationships very seriously, but cannot take responsibility for the unauthorised actions of third parties.
    God is REAL... unless declared an INTEGER

Quote Originally Posted by Sniperz View Post
    I think this email is sent to those who are using or had used UPS service. I saw many such cases. I believe the email is not sent randomly. If I am wrong, please correct me.
    I dont think so. Many people who didn't use UPS are also getting such email. I believe it is sent randomly.

I had already opened this email earlier and the attachment as well as I was know nothing about such scam. It is after that, when I realized some wierd things were happening to my PC. I knew this was happening due to some bloody Trojan but was suspicious about where it came from ! Its now that I realized that it was thru that email. Bloody S H I T

Quote Originally Posted by fumble View Post
    I had already opened this email earlier and the attachment as well as I was know nothing about such scam. It is after that, when I realized some wierd things were happening to my PC. I knew this was happening due to some bloody Trojan but was suspicious about where it came from ! Its now that I realized that it was thru that email. Bloody S H I T
    What were the effects of this? How to remove if once affected?

Some of my softwares started disappearing or working in some unusual way. Also I noticed a program named 'Userinit' in Start - Programs - Startup folder. Some of my programs got corrupted.

I did a usual Scan with my Symentec antivirus and it was able to remove or quarantine some bloody stuff. The 'Userinit' also disappeared form there after too many scans. But I think its not completely cleaned anyway. I can experience some weird things still now.

What can I do now. Somebody please.

Yogesh Guest
    Once you open the attachment, your PC is likely to be infected. Follow these steps to avoid loading and spreading of viruses.
    1. Turn off the system restore option in the properties of My Computer. Otherwise the virus will be saved.

2. Then delete that email from Inbox, Trash/Deleted items and from everywhere it appears in your email account.

3. Delete everything fron the TEMP folder. (I suggest using spybots file shredder with a 5 pass overwrite)

4. Now reboot the system and scan it for 4-5 times with antivirus, antispyware/malware etc.

5. Also delete any restore points that were created after the arrival of this spam mail.

Might be a great solution hopefully....

Re: UPS email virus - ALERT

If you’re ever in doubt about the legitimacy of an email from UPS be sure to contact them first prior to opening it – UPS Phone Number