Thread: Is it worth to upgrade to Microsoft Web App instead of office suite

Is it worth to upgrade to Microsoft Web App instead of office suite

I am using the latest version of Microsoft Office. There are 15 users who are appointed in different branches. Our office is providing them a license of Office suite. The only option here we have is to share files through emails. That means attaching the files and sending to other people.That is a kind of manual process. But I had seen that this can be more better if I go with the Web App. I am not really aware that this one will be completely like the Office suite. Does going for the web app is better.

Re: Is it worth to upgrade to Microsoft Web App instead of office suite

It is. You just get the entire office suite on web. You can share the files via Hotmail and SkyDrive. You can create a group of people who can access and modify the same. I am using this. It is worth enough compare to the regular office suite. And also there is no charge for the same.

This depends basically on your requirement. If you need some web based support then going for Office web app is simply great. Here you are using a service manage by third party server. Your data remain on web locked inside your mail id. It is just like another cloud service. The files are liked in SkyDrive application. You can download and keep this on your desktop. And you can then simply copy paste the files inside it. You can edit and upload it on web. There is no need to carry the files with you. Whatever changes you do in the SkyDrive files those are automatically updated on the web also. I found it great. It works in web browser and there is no need to install the office package. So those who are non windows environment can also edit, read the files. SkyDrive can also accessed via web browser. It is like a online file manager tool. And if you need a free edition of the same then you go with Google Drive. Google also offers you to create spreadsheet, word files, and presentation online. You just need an email id for the same. There are more number of applications available. But they gives you a set of limited feature. It is easy to for all to use. For using Skydrive and its associated service the online requirement here is live id and a subscription with Microsoft Web apps.

Being a web versions the software does not gives you a complete set of features. It is just limited compared to the possibilities what we get on the office suite. This is because to run it on a web server you have to make it more lighter. Or else it might not work well and crash soon.

What matters here the most is the web interface. If the interface is dull it will be complicated for you to use it. Like I am using Excel on my tablet. It works great. You can simply edit your files, modify them and create new file also. You can type formulas and do lot more things. You just need to click on the edit button on the top to edit a file. I am also using Word here. The Web App interface looks very similar to the offline version. It works great and has no issue here. The settings are exactly the same but with some features removed. As mentioned above it make it more lighter. The ribbon just lies on the top side from where you can access formatting and do different options. The functionality is the same. I do not think you will face any problem in using the same. But there are number of things which are not provided in the ribbon in comparison to the full version.But the usage here is exactly the same with Excel and PowerPoint.Now you can just with simple click create a new files directly in the SkyDrive. Which does not looks complicated on any condition. I was expecting more features in SkyDrive. But still it is the same as it was before. There are hardly any new changes in it.

Web version is great for those who does not need advance features and are just engaged with basic editing job here. But if you need a online collaboration then why don't you go for Office 365. I think that will be more better for you and you can get more advance option in that.

First of all compare to the pc edition the online one is free. You are free to use the online version of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Outlook. So you are here having a direct option to get all your mail, you edit your files and even create a interactive power point presentation also through web app and save the files in Microsoft SkyDrive. Which is the cloud storage. When you signup with Hotmail id you get a some 7GB free here for the using the same. The web app works fine and needs a good internet connection. It works well with all web browsers. I am using this in Chrome where it works really fine. Through Office Web Apps you can view and edit files. You can edit them on your pc, smartphone and even on your tablet. So that is the accessibility feature you get. And with the help of Skydrive you can share the same with others. It is getting common day by day, that cloud storage are getting more and more simpler. Without cloud storage here you cannot do anything and when your space is over you can buy more through Microsoft. There is another option as mentioned above Office 365 which is a kind of hybrid solution. It works online as well as offline. It is not sold in pack, it works on the basis of monthly subscription. You can here work not he desktop version of Office and also collaborate the same through web.

According to me it is best if you go for Office 365. That is more appropriate I think. Because here you get some additional features compare to the only online or offline solution. You have a set of mixed choices here. So just checkout the feature of Office 365 once.