Thread: Changed MDI file Association to Acrobat Reader

Changed MDI file Association to Acrobat Reader

One of my users was trying to open some .mdi file but it wasn’t opening because I haven’t installed Microsoft Document Image Writer on any of my PC. SO what he did right clicked .mdi file and select opened with. He chose Acrobat Reader to always use this program and made it default for MDIs. Still it wont opens and that is obvious.

Today I installed MDI options I want to associate the .mdi files with the Microsoft Document Image Writer program again. Tried doing that my own but dint found any options. Can anyone please tell me how can we do the same? Thanks.

RE: Changed MDI file Association to Acrobat Reader

It seems like I fixed the problem myself. As soon as I installed the viewing portion of Microsoft Document Image Writer, system automatically re-associated the file extension. But I didn’t understood why Microsoft split the programs in such way where one app is to create a .mdi file and another is to view it.

Re: Changed MDI file Association to Acrobat Reader

I see this is an old topic, but the solution here didn't fully restore my broken file association. After adding the MDI options as outlined specifically at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926198 it was still trying to open with the wrong program. It didn't fix itself as in Pappy's case.

For Office 2003 on Vista, I found the .exe that needed to be associated with .mdi files is called MSPVIEW.EXE and I found it at C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\MODI\11.0

Re: Changed MDI file Association to Acrobat Reader

Its glad to hear that you fixed your problem but if in case you need to know how to re-associate the file then here it is. Just right click on the file and choose "properties" and select "Change", browse to location: C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\MODI\12.0 and select the mspview and click "open". Thats it.