Thread: Outlook 2007 (Not Responding)

Outlook 2007 (Not Responding)

I got some problem with Microsoft Outlook 2007 and in my case if I am trying to launch Outlook then I am geting an error "A data file did not close properly the last time it was used and is being checked for problems. Performance might be affected while the check is in progress." After this message appears then the data file check takes place and completes. Then the program might work for short period and then will go to "Not Responding". I have tried to recreate the Outlook Data File from scratch and get the same issue. I have removed One Note, and I have PGP desktop and have disabled the messaging Encryption option. By the way I have installed Vista and am running Office 2007 with Service pack 1 on it. It is a wireless internet connection that I am using. Any help would be appreciated.

Did you try to run scanpst.exe against the person's .pst file and did you also try the Office diagnostics by going into its help section. Can you also tell us whether you have freshly installed the Outlook 2007 on your computer or did you do a upgrade on 2003 or something like that?

RE: Outlook 2007 (Not Responding)

Thanks for the replies, I have run the scanpst utility before while replacing the Outlook data file completely. I have not run the troubleshooting diagnostic. I have also done a detect and repair thing but it didnt work. I will try doing the troubleshooting process and check if that solves the case.

Re: Outlook 2007 (Not Responding)

I have spent hours on this issue. Done the research. There seems to be one of 2 solutions to this problem (Microsoft still clueless).

1. Shut down Outlook 2007, then rename the following files:

"C:\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\extend.dat" [to extend.old]
    "C:\...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FORMS\FRMCACHE.dat" [to frmCache.old]

Restart Outlook 2007 and this will fix it for a lot of people, including mine. For those that it does not solve this issue, and you have google desktop...

2. Uninstall Google Desktop. Microsoft doesn't know how this could work, but it does.

If that leaves anybody else, go to Mozilla and download their email client "Thunderbird" and get on with life, its not worth your time.