Thread: Cannot find close, restore and minimize buttons in Microsoft Office 2007

Cannot find close, restore and minimize buttons in Microsoft Office 2007

I had installed Microsoft Office on Windows XP SP2. I am using Office 2007. This is the latest version and there are many changes. I am not able to understand that this would be some kind of new UI or bug in my installation. I am not able to find three things here. The Close, Restore and Minimize button. Which is by default available on the top right side. Does there are some changes in the UI. Is it removed or this is a problem with m y installation.

By default those three things are available on the top right side. But it is weird to find that it is not available in your case. Go in Help and click on Office Diagnostic. Just click on that and you will be able to get some repair through that. If that does not work then you will need to perform a clean installation from scratch. I am using the same version and I am having those icons on my screen.

Try to run Word in Safe mode and then see whether you are able to get those options or not. It looks there is some problem with the installation. You can run a repair setup from Control Panel. Just go in Add/Remove and click on Office and then click on Change. You have to choose Repair or Modify. Choose Repair that would be better. Run the setup and then check back. The repair installation will fix all damage files and restore everything.

I had the same problem. This seems to work for me. In nView Desktop Manager in the Windows tab try the following settings.

Prevent windows from opening off-screen uncheck
    Enable window spanning across multiple displays check
    Enable child window spanning across muliple displays - uncheck
    Default display
    No window snapping
    No repositioning

This also fixed a problem I had with maximized windows on one of my screens (the screens are two different sizes).

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Allan View Post
    I had the same problem. This seems to work for me. In nView Desktop Manager in the Windows tab try the following settings.

Default display
    No window snapping
    No repositioning

This also fixed a problem I had with maximized windows on one of my screens (the screens are two different sizes).
    Thank you!!! This solution worked for a client of ours that was having the same basic problem. I Appreciate the help.

I am having the same problem but can't find nView Desktop Manager. I am running Windows XP with Office 2007. My minimize, maximize, and restore buttons are missing also. Can you help??

nView is an application for NVIDIA based video cards that handles display properties (resolution, dual monitors, etc). Unfortunately, I do not have a machine handy with an NVIDIA card installed so that I can specifically verify how to open nView.

But from memory and guessing, try ONE of the following......
    >Check the system tray for the nView icon, or it may come up as "Nvidia" (its a green icon like the NVIDIA logo).
    >Right-click on desktop, check the menu for Nvidia or nView, or go to 'properties'. There may be an entry on the Display properties tab for it.
    >Check Start -> All Programs and look for an NVIDIA or nView entry.
    > Lastly, download and install the latest NVIDIA display drivers. nView usually installs with it.

Of course this only applies if you have an NVIDIA card. If you don't, then I'm not sure what to check next.
    Last edited by dbrust; 08-09-2008 at 09:47 PM.

re: Cannot find close, restore and minimize buttons in Microsoft Office 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Allan View Post

Default display
    No window snapping
    No repositioning

Fixed my problem too. Thanks Allan!!