Thread: Office 2007 Installation Crash

Office 2007 Installation Crash

In past several times I have installed any individual office application such as Visio and later when required I installed entire office suite. Everytime it use to be successful. But now it is not working I don’t know why. Today when I was trying to install Office where already Visio is running, installation gets crashed. It wont gives any error message but this is what I found in the Event Viewer:

“Product: Microsoft Office Shared MUI (English) 2007 -- Error 1704. An installation for Microsoft Office Publisher MUI (English) 2007 is currently suspended. You must undo the changes made by that installation to continue. Do you want to undo those changes?”

I clicked on Yes to continue but nothing happens. I thought removing it and re-installing may fix the issue but it wont allow me to uninstall as well. Neither I’m able to apply SP1 patch. Any help please?

RE: Office 2007 Installation Crash

There are many Articles on web who suggest us to first remove corrupt installations but I don’t understand how can we remove it from Add/Remove programs if it doesn’t successfully completed the installation. SO here is a small workaround, see if it works for you.

First of all go to windows directory, click the folder named "Installer". This is where all installed .msi and .msp use to stay which is used by system to reinstall and uninstall. Here search for MSI program related to your crashed installation, it must be Microsoft Publisher. Just delete the same. Now go to Temporary folder and delete everything from there as well. Now restart the computer and try to install again.

RE: Office 2007 Installation Crash

Thank you very much for the help LeonL. I tried as you suggested but that dint helped me. The next time when I try installing I noticed some entries in EventViewer. Hope it can provide you some more information on the issue. Please check:
    Event Type: Information
    Event Source: MsiInstaller
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 11729
    Date: 2/10/2008
    Time: 7:38:09 PM
    Description:
    Product: Microsoft Office Shared MUI (English) 2007 -- Configuration failed.

For more information, see Help and Support Center athttp://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 7b 39 30 31 32 30 30 30 {9012000
    0008: 30 2d 30 30 36 45 2d 30 0-006E-0
    0010: 34 30 39 2d 30 30 30 30 409-0000
    0018: 2d 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 -0000000
    0020: 46 46 31 43 45 7d FF1CE}

How to install Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007

Hey I figured out what the problem is below is how you can get Office 2007 to install.

If you have received the follow Error while trying to install MS Office Enterprise 2007:

• Microsoft does not support upgrades from a pre-release version. (i.e. Office 2007 Beta or Trial versions)

Below is how I was able to correct the problem and get the entire Office package to install on my system.

First you have to determine if you have any pre-release Office 2007 programs on the system you are trying to upgrade. This is accomplished by doing the following steps below.

To remove a program from your computer, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
    2. In the list of programs, click the one that you want to remove, and then click Change/Remove.
    3. Click Yes when you are prompted with the question "Do you want to remove the program?
    If you do not see any MS Office 2007 programs here, this does not mean they are not still present on you system in the registry! (No Fear! This is easy to fix as well)
    *** Note ***
    I had no listing of Office 2007 program in my list either.

Now you will need to download the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility. I’ve hyperlinked it to make it easy to find however below is the web address if the link is disabled.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us

Run the Windows Installer Cleanup and scroll down though the list and verify that you do not have any Office 2007 programs on your system.
    If you have more than a few you press and hold the “control key” and highlight them with a mouse click.
    Then select the “remove” radio button.
    Once you have cleared all the pre-release versions of Office 2007, you will no longer get the associated error code again.
    *** Note ***
    This has not really been tested to work on Office 2007 products however this was all I had to do to completely remove the prelease version of Office 2007 (Beta) from my laptop. After I completed this task, Office Enterprise 2007 loaded successfully.

If after the above steps are competed and you are still unable to load Office Enterprise 2007, and you have received any of the follow Error while trying to install MS Office Enterprise 2007:

• Error 1704: Microsoft Office 2007 installation is suspended. Error 1712

• Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 encountered an error during setup

Despite what the MS knowledge bases(kb) say you have to do when this occurs this has to do with the version of Microsoft .NET Framework that you have installed.

Solution: Run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Scroll down to see the Microsoft .NET Framework versions installed on you system.

You should have:
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 [1.1.4322]
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 [2.1.21022]

*** NOTE ***
    If you have any other version of MS .NET Framework that is not listed above Office Enterprise 2007 will not load.

Use the ADD/Remove programs to uninstall the inhibiting versions of MS .NET Framework. Then run the Windows Clean up utility and verify that only the above versions are installed. Once you have completed this Office Enterprise 2007 should load successfully.

Re: Office 2007 Installation Crash

Found one solution if you've gotten that annoying error "Setup cannot install one of the required products for Microsoft Office Shared MUI "

It was so simple one should bitch-slap MS for making this F.U.B.A.R installation-program:

I did install that MS installation cleanup utility prior to this.
    I found in the install-log (Since the installation crashed after that roll-back): "SetupExe([TodaysDate]5005145E84).log" or whatever it might want to send. An .log-file anyways.

Within it I searched (F3) after the word "fail" and it found en entry:"Error: Failed to install product: C:\MSOCache\All Users\{90120000-0010-0409-0000-0000000FF1CE}-C\RosebudMUI.msi ErrorCode: 1603(0x643). "

Then I opened the cd and searched for rosebud and it found it in the folder "x:\Office 2007 Enterprise\Rosebud.en-us".

Enter that directory (x:\Office 2007 Enterprise\Rosebud.en-us)
    Run the RosebudMUI.msi
    It'll probably ask for the Windows-CD/DVD - Give it to it!
    It'll perhaps complaint and then exit. It did for me. No errors after that. Tried running it again and it came and went just as quick.

After that it installed Office FLAWLESSLY!

I should perhaps mention that the reason for this error was because I've made the XP-install from a USB-stick and it's a bit screwy (Windows that is) since the install was more or less unattended and a few days after that I did something on one of my servers (Via Windows network) and for some twisted reason that IP-address got incorporated into windows register.

Just thought I'd register and post it here if anyone (ever?) got this problem as well.
    If you did, hope this helps.