Thread: Word 2007 Spell Check not working.

Word 2007 Spell Check not working.

Word is not fixing any spelling in Word 2007. I am quiet frustrated with the same. This is a new upgrade. I had just installed Office 2007 over Office 2003. After that things looks to be working fine, but there is a problem with spell check. It is not working at all. There are no indication on the application about wrong spelling or grammar check. I am looking for some way to find out whether it is appropriate or not. Or it may be disabled.

Try to install office back. That would be helpful for fixing this kind of bugs. You must run the setup again. That would fix the issue. What you get when you press F7. You must get a popup box on the screen through which you can simply adjust the spelling and grammar. If that option is not working then the best thing you must do is simply re-install Office and then check back.

Spell Check not working in Outlook 2007

My situation was: Spell Check not working in Outlook 2007, OK in WORD 2007, OK in Outlook if I logged in to Windows with different Acct. I spent half a day trolling the internet for solutions, some involving the registry. I had definitely checked and unchecked all the correct boxes in Tools/Options/Spelling and Spelling&Autocorrection.
    By chance, when logged in under second acct. and with a new message window open, I clicked on the Proofing/Spelling drop down menu/set Language option. There I noticed that there was a box option "Do not check spelling or grammar" This was UNchecked.
    I then logged back in to my default acct. and started Outlook again. The Spell check was still not working but I then went to the Proofing drop down list, as above, only to find that the "Do not check spelling or grammar" box was CHECKED! I cleared the box, went back to the new mail window and lo & behold, Spell Check works just fine!
    I wish I had thought of that first and not wasted an afternoon of Googling and potentially wrecking my computer via the Registry! Maybe this will be an option you haven't tried

So I tried almost everything and finally found something that works. It is a very simple method and it requires almost no knowledge of computers. All you have to do is follow these 10 simple steps.

1) First you need to open a Microsoft Word document
    2) Click the MOB (Microsoft Office Button) at the top left corner
    3) At the bottom of that menu is a button labeled "Word Options" (it's next to "Exit Word")
    4) On the left side is a list. Click "Add-Ins"
    5) At the bottom of this menu there is a small box next to the word Manage
    6) Click that box and select "Disabled Items" from the list
    7) Once you have selected this click the "Go" next to it
    8) A new window will open and if on of the options has the words "Spell Check" then select this
    9) Once the option is selected then proceed with clicking Enable.
    10) Close the "Word Options" menu and proceed to type an obvious misspelled word to test it.

I too experienced the "Word 2007 spell check not working" problem. I called IT on campus (State University) and it was baffling to them as well. Your fix worked instantly. Quick and easy; I am glad I didn't have to go into the "regedit" fix that I saw on other sites. I had the exact same problem and have been trying for WEEKS to solve it! I'm a freelance editor, so you can imagine how big of a problem this has been for me. I tried so many different things, like renaming my user ID, etc. and none of it worked! This was so easy and finally fixed my spell checker! Had this problem today and fixed it very simply. I live in Ireland, therefore where you see Ireland or Irish put you own language version in its place. I have noticed many suppliers do not supply PCs or Laptops with the language setting set up correctly.

Re: Word 2007 Spell Check not working.

I had same problem with word 2007 and i contacted HP service desk and this is the solution ...I hope it will help
    For faster and more efficient issue resolution, please CALL Service Desk at the information listed below. We’ll be happy to assist you.
    The spell check function should have been installed together with the installation of MS Office suite.

Please help confirm or follow the following:

1) What's the version of your MS Office, 2003 or 2007?
    2) Do you have only one version installed on your computer or both? Confirm by going to Start -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs. (Please provide the screenshots of the program list.)
    3) Follow the steps below to install the spell check feature:
    a) Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Microsoft Office.
    b) Click on the Change button, select Add or Remove Features, and then click on Continue.
    c) Unfold Office Shared Features, Proofing Tools, and then English Proofing Tools, check whether the Spelling and Grammar checker is installed. Or you may click on the small down arrow button and click on Run from my computer to have it installed again.
    4) Clicke on Review in Word and then Set Laugnage, and check which language is hilighted by default, and then check which language is displayed at the bottom of Word.

(If possible, please provide all screenshots in your reply email for more effective troubleshooting. Or it would be easier if you call in so that we can use remote access.)

Please be kindly noted that this ticket is Pending for 5 working days (starting from the date of creation) and then will be marked Resolved if no update is received.

This thread helped me to get Spell Checking working again. I have Word 2003, so it might be a a little different, but it's almost what the person before said on how to fix it for me at least.

Open up Word. Go to Tools -> Language -> Set Language.

Than click on the box (to uncheck it) that says Do not check spelling and grammar.

This is why we can't figure it out. It's because it's under stinking Language for goodness sakes. Why is it under there? It SHOULD be under Tools -> Options -> Spelling & Grammar, and NOT Language.

In Word 2007, if you don't see a Tools menu, just look through your menus to see if you see anything that relates to language at all.

Thanks RWBP for helping me out.

3) At the bottom of that menu is a button labeled "Word Options" (it's next to "Exit Word")
    8) A new window will open and if on of the options has the words "Spell Check" then select this
    10) Close the "Word Options" menu and proceed to type an obvious misspelled word to test it.

Thanks to Aron for this.

Re: Word 2007 Spell Check not working and I've tried everything here.

I have tried all the suggestions in this thread.

When I go to Word Options, then add-ins, then disabled items, there are documents in the list of disabled items, but nothing regarding a dictionary.

When I go to Word Options, proofing, custom dictionaries,
    and I uncheck custom.dic,
    then go to dictionary language, there are no languages.

I have clicked on "add" and there is a list:

excludedictionaryEN0c09
    excludedictionaryEN0409

followed by 8 more items starting with "excludedictionary"

Any ideas?

The spell check seemed to be disabled about a week ago.

Would there be anything in "tracking changes" that could have disabled the spelling and grammar features?

For the issue that you are having here there is a solution with me and it is actually a two way process.

At first you will have to click on the Microsoft Office Button and then you will have to see for the Word Options. You can find this at the bottom. Now after this you will have to and select the Proofing option that you will find in the left pane. Now with the method that I will be presenting you will be able to activate the automatic spelling check on the current Word Document. Under the Exception tab you will be required to choose the name of the currently opened document and then you will be required to uncheck the box for the option Hide spelling errors in this document only.

Now if you want to make the same settings for all the Word documents then you will have to select All New Documents under Exceptions. Then uncheck the box for the option Hide spelling errors in this document only.

See if the above method really goes in your way.

Thank you, Aleeza. I tried your suggestion. I still get this message: "Cannot find proofing tools for English." And there are no English dictionaries. I will try to reinstall Microsoft Office and see if the dictionaries come back in. I will report back.

I fear that this all happened when I tried AVG PC Tuneup to try to fix another problem. The spellchecker was working before then.

I also no longer have access to Microsoft Help. The F1 key no longer works on any of the office products.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronB View Post
    So I tried almost everything and finally found something that works. It is a very simple method and it requires almost no knowledge of computers. All you have to do is follow these 10 simple steps.

i did this but there was nothing in the new window that popped there was nothing in the box help

You can try by reinstalling MS Office and see if that solved the problem for you or not.