Thread: Word 2007 lag while typing

Word 2007 lag while typing

I am facing problem with Microsoft Office 2007. I had upgraded from Office 2003. The upgrade was fine and there was no problem at the time of installation. But somehow there is a problem with word only. It freezes when I am using it. The typing is extremely slow. I had tried to check the other software in Office folder that looks to be working fine. While this one is slow. Is this a problem or Word work like this.

That is not slow typing it is slow responsiveness of Microsoft Word. It looks that there is some problem with performance. You can go in Help and click on Diagnostic to find out whether there is some issue or not. When you launch Word does it take a very long time or it is started instantly. You have to check that first. There can be problem with the add-in in the same. You have to disable all the addons and check again.

re: Word 2007 lag while typing

Add some more ram sticks to your system. It looks your pc is working slow. Check in Task Manager. If the ram utilization is higher then you have to add more hardware to make it work fine. Second thing never upgrade. Always perform a installation from scratch. Upgrades just add new files and they do not delete old one due to which there is a problem later on with the software.

You can do two things here. Either re-install the entire office package or simply run word in safe mode. That will help you more. If you re-install it would give you more better performance. As said above that upgrade can cause some problem. It is always good to install from scratch.

I had the same problem and found when I went to the Review Tab and changed 'Final showing Markup' to just 'Final' in Tracking and went off the Review Tab the problem disappeared. I don't know why this worked because I didn't even have track changes activated.

I don't know if this is of any use to anyone else but I thought I'd share as this site gave me the idea in the first place. And it's a very frustrating problem!

I've tried every recommendation here and I still experience an annoying lag of about 2-4 seconds when I type even just one stupid little character in Word 2007. I have 3 GB of RAM on a well configured Lenovo laptop. I never come close to maxing out that memory, but even so, I have noticed that 30+-page documents with lots of charts and other images makes the lag even worse.

I also had this problem and none of the solutions helped (also a lenovo thinkpad). I tried most of the solutions posted in this thread. Some of my letter templates included an image in the header as part of the letterhead. Letters based on this template would exhibit the slow typing in the name and address parts but not in the body of the letter. It then started to affect the body of the letter. I removed the image from the header and the problem went away. I don't know what the resolution is, but this might be helpful to some.

I have experienced this same problem. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...a-9c73bde6a820

What ended up working for me was to switch over to "Draft" view as opposed to "Print Layout" view. Hope this is helpful.

This happened to me today, My computer at work uses word 2007. When I saved the document as 2003 - hey presto,, it worked at normal speed :o)

Quote Originally Posted by cazt View Post
    This happened to me today, My computer at work uses word 2007. When I saved the document as 2003 - hey presto,, it worked at normal speed :o)
    You could also try to turn off all Word features such as real-time/background spell-check, pagination, etc. Anything that intercepts your input is a suspect. You might even switch to graphics placeholders, etc I've seen Word respond in the oddest ways when such parameters are changed. Hope that helps.