Thread: Double Line Spacing Default in Word 2007

Double Line Spacing Default in Word 2007

How to set double line spacing default on Microsoft Word 2007. I had seen some users doing the same but I cannot find any settings in template. I know there will be some way to do the same in normal.doc. I had also checked inside the help option but also nothing was found. I want to keep the line spacing default. How can I manage the same.

For that you will need to either create a new template or simply modify the existing one. Then only it will work. I am also try to working on the same. I think you can put the settings by keeping a template save and then using the same over and over again. I had created a standard layout that I always use and the keep on modifying it. So there is nothing much to do as the layout is already fixed.

problems with Word default settings

In Word 2002/XP, You can customize a Word template to what defaults you want, save it as Normal.doc as a template then replace the Normal .doc in the Office/Word 2003/07 folder.

There is another problem that I and others are running into at a local College with Word 2007 installed in the last 6 months.

Check your paragraphs settings, some installations have a different setting.

The default setting has paragraphs setting in the 'After' box as 10 pt (need to change this to 0 pt.
    Then the 'line spacing' is set at 'Multiple 'At' 1.15
    Change this of course to 'Single and the 1.15 will go to a blank setting.

This looks like Double spacing, check your paragraph settings.

You should also save most of your Word documents under the previous 'Word 97/2003 document' so those users of 2000/2002/XP/2003 will be able to open and edit your Word documents. Word 2007 has a new file format that will give previous users a headache. Users can download a Word 2007 viewer, but you really don't want your instructor or employers to have to go through this exercise.
    Many companies don't have Word 2007 installed yet and many will stay on 2003/XP for 3-4 years because it suites their needs.

I haven't checked this on Word 2007 yet, type 'Normal.doc' in the help question field, see if it pulls up similar instructions.

The Normal template (Normal template: A global template that you can use for any type of document. You can modify this template to change the default document formatting or content.) opens whenever you start Word, and it includes default styles, AutoText, macros, toolbars, and other customizations that determine the basic look of your document.

On the File menu, click Open, and then navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates.
    If no templates are listed in the Open dialog box, click the arrow next to the Files of type box, and then click Document Templates.

Double-click the Normal.dot file to open it. To be certain that you're working in the default template, check to see that Normal.dot appears in the Word title bar.
    Make any changes you want, using the menus and dialog boxes just as you would to change default settings for a document, but remember that any changes you make to Normal.dot will be applied to documents that you create in the future.
    When you have finished, on the Standard toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, click Customize on the Tools menu, and then click the Toolbars tab.), click Save .
    Note If Normal.dot is renamed, damaged, or moved, Word automatically creates a new version (which uses the original default settings) the next time that you start Word. The new version will not include any customizations you made to the version that you renamed or moved.

Re: Word 2007 Double space problems

Sorry, I typed Normal.doc. That was my info from last year. That is a regular type of Word 2002/XP file name, i.e., 'Report.doc.'
    In reviewing the info I posted, I should have referred you to change Normal.dot in Word 2002/XP. In Word 2007 it is now 'Normal.dotm' even though Word 2003/XP is under the hood of Word 2007.

In MS's view change is good because we can make more money.

From Word 2007 help files:

Change the Normal.dotm template
    Any changes that you make to Normal.dotm will be applied to documents that you create in the future.

Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Open.
    Do one of the following:
    In Windows Vista:
    Click Templates, and then double-click the Normal.dotm file to open it.

In Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Server 2003:
    Click Templates next to File name.

If no templates are listed in the Open dialog box, click the arrow next to the Files of type box, and then click All Word Templates.

To be certain that you're working in the default template, check to see that Normal.dotm appears in the Word title bar.

Make any changes that you want to the fonts, margins, spacing, and other settings. You can use the same commands and features that you use to change a document — but remember that any changes that you make to Normal.dotm will be applied to documents that you create in the future.
    When you have finished, click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Save.

Note If Normal.dotm is renamed, damaged, or moved, Word automatically creates a new version (which uses the original default settings) the next time that you start Word. The new version will not include any of the customizations that you made to the version that you renamed or moved.

It is possible to create a normal template in Microsoft Word and that would really work. But somehow you cannot add the settings by your own self. You have to use the entries that are created by autocorrect or auto text. The template has all the settings. It is also easy to use a default layout and you can simply remodify it again and again as per your need.

Hello Marianne

Seeing that MS has given all these 'new' users a troublesome default setting with the installation of Office 2007 or Word 2007, couldn't MS create a preferred user 'Normal.docm' and send it out as a patch fix or 'here's a 'Normal.docm' update. I also think that there should be at least 10 main templates that when an absolutely new user opens it up, it displays a pop-up or style sheet with the documents settings. Most college students (and Most users) need the basic Normal.doc with 1" margins, Times New Roman, Single spacing or double spacing. Only power users will need to change these settings to fit their needs. (But with Word 2007, MS has made that even difficult for Power users! )

Most users want 1 inch margins with Times New Roman; no spacing in the 'After' box in the paragraphs setting and single space as the default.

Why would MS change what users were accustom to?
    Many of the changes in Word 2007 have been a nightmare. Why would MS want to change what 30 Million+ users know and are accustom to from Word 2000/2002/2003. Then, MS has to change the font setting to Calibri something. What is up with that. Especially in a College setting. Your programmers should have known that.

While I've got your attention, If WordPerfect(WP) can change it's software's appearance for several previous WP versions and MS Word 95/97, why can't MS give power users the ability to keep the Word 2002/XP interface.
    and I know that you crippled Word 2007 from using the full keyboard menus from Word 2002/XP. If they work and bring up the paragraph settings, they could also be programmed to work with drop down menus. You just want to slap a label 'New and improved' for the $350 price tag.

Well, thanks for giving 30,000,000 users a headache trying to use your upgrade. I think that its a down grade in usability! Even a young college student who had to find a way to start page numbers on the 2nd page with page '2' couldn't believe the solution when I showed her. You have to go to two tabs, 'Insert' and 'Page Layout' to get this done. She said that is too much trouble. And the solution came from Word 2007 help files.

Oh, another thing I found users: If you are inserting boxes or shapes. The previous action would keep the Drawing toolbar active until you moved on to typing... The new Word 2007 jumps back to the 'Home tab' every time you insert a shape. what is up with that stupid trick. What if you want to insert multiple shapes? You have to keep going back to the 'insert tab' and clicking on Shapes, then selecting your shape and then it will move back to 'Home tab'. Someone slip on that programming.

Just sell us a license for Word or Office and let us keep the version we want. Or some will jump to another word/ office suite solution. Make it usable and backwards compatible. It will take many users 3-6 years to upgrade.

I am facing a bit weird issue. I am facing problem with the pagination of word file. Even adding a proper settings each time I have to modify the entire files and things went back to normal. It looks word by default loads some preconfigured settings. I even tried the template. It is not taking the modified template on its own. I have to change each and everything. So the last thing I did is simply modified the file that I had created.

Re: Double Line Spacing Default in Word 2007

Try to work on styles. That would help you to dealing with the problem that you are facing. You can simply go in the Styles which is located in the home tab and from there you can modify the settings. Once the style is configured Word will load the same and there is no need to modify any existing settings. It one of the best way to deal with the issue.

I too noticed a double spacing between the lines the moment I started using Word 2007. Considering the fact I have been using Word for years, leave it up to the nut bags @ MS to change it for “better readability” reasons. Sounds like someone decided to cater to the weak…

Anyway, after beating my head against the wall I finally got Word 2007 to act JUST LIKE ITS PREDACESSORS.

Follow these steps:
    1. In the Paragraph section, click on the Line spacing button (it’s basically located in the center of the screen across the top)
    2. From the drop-down menu, select the ‘Line Spacing Options…’ option
    3. On the Paragraph window in the ‘Spacing’ section set the value for ‘After:’ to ‘0 pt’
    4. At the bottom of the Window, press the ‘Default’ button (if you do not do this step, then you’ll have to do steps 1~3 each time you open a new document)
    5. Select the ‘Ok’ button

Viola!

Feel the stress leaving your body…

Anyway, you can always click on the Home tab and select No Spacing, or you can adjust the spacing; per instructions here:

Also, you can edit the default template, normal.dotm located in
    Code:
    %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Templates
    ... Just right-click and select Open & all of the settings you change and then save that file will stick as default. :)

P.S. dud_gorgon, nice post!

I came across thread when looking for the solution and ended up finding a much simpler one that people still having this issue may want to use. Microsoft has a "Fix it for me" option at the following site:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921174

You download a file directly from MS, run it, and 10 seconds later Word is set to open with single line spacing by default. They also give you official directions on how to fix the problem yourself w/o running their program.

Quote Originally Posted by shamashaeil View Post
    I came across thread when looking for the solution and ended up finding a much simpler one that people still having this issue may want to use. Microsoft has a "Fix it for me" option at the following site:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921174

You download a file directly from MS, run it, and 10 seconds later Word is set to open with single line spacing by default. They also give you official directions on how to fix the problem yourself w/o running their program.
    Thank you! I have Word 2010, and this worked for me.