Thread: Word and Excel files opening extremely slow

Word and Excel files opening extremely slow

I am using a Dell Laptop. It has Windows XP SP2. The machine has updated version of Windows. I am connected to 10 different pc on the network where one has all the files. Whatever files modified goes in that central location. This morning windows installed more updates and after that Office started working extremely slow. The file take too much time to open and sometime it crashes. What can be problem with office suite.

Try to reconfigure the network once again. It looks your network is extremely slow due to which you are facing the problem. Sometime it is common that due to constant scanning or antivirus this kind of issue appear. Try to disable your antivirus and then check once again. I am sure it will work.

Hi

I'm running XP SP2, and had the same problem with Word taking ages to open when I wanted to open a document (usually from Outlook Express). So I followed your instructions and unchecked DDE, deleted /dde and added "%1". Word now opens really quickly, which is great. But instead of opening the file, I get a new blank document. Help! I've just checked - I can't open any of my own Word docs either - I just get the blank new doc. Double help!

I am running Vista on my Laptop and am having a similar problem. The problem started when I had to reinstall Vista. Word and Excel worked fine prior to the reinstallation. Neither Word not Excel will open in less than 2 minutes at this time.

If I attempt to open a file from the directory, I will wait for several minutes with before seeing a message that says Word was shut down improperly last time and that I should consider starting in safe mode. The program will run just fine whether I chose safe mode or not.

Word and Excel both take a long time to open if I open them first and then open a file from within the program. Only this time, the status bar at the bottom of the screen says that Word is checking for viruses. Obviously a virus check of a single file should not require more than a minute.

I was running Office 2003, but I uninstalled it thinking that Office 2007 might work better. Unfortunately, Office does the same darn thing. Bummer.

Any suggestions? I am getting tired of using OpenOffice.org.

Thanks Bob I. I'll give it a try.

Hello --

My slow-opening problem began when I downloaded and installed XP's Service Pack 3, although a friend has had this problem for a very long time. I have made no changes to my firewall or virus software. I did try the fix in Control Panel, disabling DDE, and now cannot double click on any Word document to open, nor can I open a Word attachment to email. But Word docs DO open that are hyperlinks in IE. The only other change to my computer is adding PC Tuneup, which recently did a registry cleanup.

I don't really think this is a virus program or firewall issue.

Sorry to hear that you did a registry cleanup. Perhaps if you are lucky,
    you may uninstall and then reinstall Office to correct the issue now.

Not sure if you resolved this but I had the same issue.

Make sure you did not put a space before the "%1" and that the "Use DDE" is
    still unchecked.

Word and Excel files opening extremely slow only with network connection

Hi guys,

I am facing strange problem.

my laptop taking lot of time when i try to open all ms office application when connected with LAN network. When I unplug network cable i am able to open all ms office application fast..

Any body have any idea on this issue

Re: Word and Excel files opening extremely slow

Hi,
    try the link, below, for a solution to the Excel problem. It worked for me

Thank you, it worked for me.

regards
    Manoj(Bangalore, India)

Quote Originally Posted by bmaltz View Post
    Hi,
    try the link, below, for a solution to the Excel problem. It worked for me
    I didn't see the link to this message - thread was about Word and Excel files opening extremely slow

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyT View Post
    I didn't see the link to this message - thread was about Word and Excel files opening extremely slow
    It might be the below link that OP was trying to post and maybe due to some reason it didnt get post:

word and excel opening up very slow