Thread: Outlook 2007 Error that there is no default mail client available

Outlook 2007 Error that there is no default mail client available

I am getting a error on my screen when I try to open outlook. I had installed that but still when I am trying to launch I am getting a error that there is no default email client installed. This is a bit weird. I am able to configure my account in the client. But somehow it looks the system is not able to detect it. Before when I click on any email address in a website the outlook compose message box appear from where I can send a email directly. But now that is not working.

re: Outlook 2007 Error that there is no default mail client available

The problem lies with outlook integration. Try to remove the same completely first. Then only perform a clean setup. Do not upgrade or overwrite the existing installation. Then check back. Once the settings are restored the email client will be configured as the default one and surely it will work nicely.

Re: Outlook 2007 Error "Either there is no default mail client....

Looks like problem with program access default. You can go in control panel and in that search for default programs. In that under email you have to configure the default mail client which is outlook. The is bit weird. Because if already outlook is installed your system must be able to identify the same. And I do not think that is some kind of system bug.

It is a registry bug. Even when the software is installed Windows is unable to identify it due to wrong values in registry. You have to remove outlook and go inside registry. Type regedit in Run box and hit enter. In that search for outlook. Whatever entries you will find delete them. If you think there can be some issue after that take a backup of registry. Delete after that and perform the installation once again.

The main reason you get that error message is that the install of Office was not updating the Mapi32.dll. Extract the MSMAPI32.DLL from the Outlook cab file from the install and rename it to MAPI32.dll. Backup the current MAPI32.dll in the system32 directory and then copy the new MAPI32.dll into the system32 directory.

This may happen for many reasons. The main reason is that you have another application installed that uses the MAPI subsystem, i.e. Blackberry Desktop Manager, Exchange System Manager, etc. The office install doesn't seem to replace the dll if there is an older version already there.

Quote Originally Posted by briant97 View Post
    I was able to get this working by renaming the registry key that is in the
    following KB article.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/247931.htm

For some reason symantec's knowledge base was able to help me with finding a
    resolution. Even thought I don't have any symantec products installed.

"briant97" wrote:

> Sorry but I don't have NIS. That was just an example of the way that I have
    > been able to fix it. I have been able to remove the registry keys in that KB
    > article from symantec to fix it however desktop search quits functioning
    > correctly and I can no longer setup Outlook as my default email client when I
    > remove those keys.
    >
    > "DL" wrote:
    >
    > > The first thing would be to uninstall NIS, then reinstall NIS, if you must,
    > > before reinstalling NIS *without* outlook integration
    > >
    > > "briant97" <briant97@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > news:7A5B0A5C-9F2B-4312-B1C9-1AD75BA6A1C5@microsoft.com...
    > > >I receive this error when I open outlook I have uninstalled and reinstalled
    > > > office and it still comes up. Error message states "Either there is no
    > > > defaul mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the message
    > > > request. Please run Microsoft Office Outlook and set it as the default
    > > > mail
    > > > client." I have set it in IE under programs to be mail client, I have
    > > > went
    > > > into tools and options and other tab and set it there also and still
    > > > receive
    > > > this message. Everything seems to work fine with it and my desktop search
    > > > works fine. I just get this annoying pop up everytime I open outlook.
    > > > The
    > > > following is the only solution I have found to get rid of the error
    > > > message.
    > > > However this solution causes desktop search to stop functioning. It
    > > > remove
    > > > Outlook complete from the default programs list for email in Internet
    > > > Explorer Options. The only way to get it back is to reinstall office is
    > > > to
    > > > uninstall office and reinstall. Once I do that then I continue to get the
    > > > error message but desktop search seems to function fine. If anyone could
    > > > give me some answers to who I get rid of this annoying error message that
    > > > would be great.
    > > > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...256eda00456216

> >
    > >
    > >

Or just run Microsoft Office Diagnostics (in the Microsoft Office Tools folder). Nothing popped up as wrong, but when I restarted Outlook the pop up was gone!

Re: Outlook 2007 Error "Either there is no default mail client...." - SOLVED

NeilB's post was spot on and solved the problem.

The main reason you get that error message is that the install of Office was not updating the Mapi32.dll. Extract the MSMAPI32.DLL from the Outlook cab file from the install and rename it to MAPI32.dll. Backup the current MAPI32.dll in the system32 directory and then copy the new MAPI32.dll into the system32 directory.

This may happen for many reasons. The main reason is that you have another application installed that uses the MAPI subsystem, i.e. Blackberry Desktop Manager, Exchange System Manager, etc. The office install doesn't seem to replace the dll if there is an older version already there.
    Rather than editing the registry to suppress the error message, NeilB's post actually FIXES the problem.

NOTE: Remember to use the "expand" command to get the proper DLL file from the extracted MSMAPI32.DLL_XX_XX_ (or similar named) file. Simply renming it will not work.

EXAMPLE In my case,

1st: Using winzip I extracted msmapi32.dll_0001_1033 from OutlkLR.cab and put it in C:\
    2nd: I renamed c:\Windows\System32\MAPI32.dll to MAPI32.dll.bak
    3rd: FROM A DOS PROMPT I typed: expand C:\msmapi32.dll_0001_1033 c:\Windows\System32\MAPI32.dll

PROBLEM SOLVED! Late post but thanks NeilB

re: Outlook 2007 Error that there is no default mail client available

Worked great thanks!