Thread: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer."

"This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer."

Hi,

I'm using Windows Vista with Office 2007. Whenever i try any hyperlink from any Office application such as Outlook, Excel, or Word, it gives me the following error message:

"The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

Any information/help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effecton this computer."

Just try out the following steps:

• Click Start, and then click Run.
    • In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    • Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\htmlfile\shell\open\command
    • On the File or Registry menu (depending on your operating system), click Export. See image.
    • Note the location where the file will be saved. The registry file can be saved directly to the hard disk or floppy disk.
    • Type a unique file name, and then click Save.
    • Exit Registry Editor.

For more ways of dealing with this error, checkout the following KB: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310049

Re: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer."

oh, I also get this problem, but just appear on Excel. Is the link(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310049) also apply to Excel.

Re: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effecton this computer."

open google, type in box, this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer, while your typing this sentence may appear before you finish, click on the sentence and another page will pop up, when you look at the list look for this email address under the question, support.microsoft.com/kb310049 but dont click on this website click the question, the microsoft web page will appear scroll down till you see fix it picture click it and follow the instructions. at first the problem I had was that a box appeared behind the run box and this box showed me where to install it to like computer highlited and it failed to install, but then I changed it to my c drive which is my main drive and it worked ok. now I can open the links in outlook. hope this works for you .

Re: "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer."

This fix worked for me..thank you.

for IE 9 the fix is here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310049

This usually appear when you do not have proper privileges to run any application or access files. You will need to ensure that you are logged in admin account. Somehow if this error had never appeared before, you can try to run system restore. This allows you to restore your old settings and make everything proper. Another thing you can try is to find the user account right under group policy settings. Or else simply try the hotfix provided in the above post.

It can be due to some locked registry entries which are done due to malicious application. Moreover you face this issue only those system where you do not full privileges. It is recommended to use a proper registry scanner which can fix the error and restore your permission. The most thing you can try is run system restore, but that should be last option. Try some cleaner tool and ensure that you have admin access. You can try by right clicking on application and running the same as administrator.

Permission restriction is a common issue which appears on Windows. This normally occurs when you are on guest account or when your system is infected with virus. To fix that there are very less options. The issue which affected me last time was similar to this. The virus modified my file permission because of which I was not able to delete any file. I used a tool called as Unlocker to unlock the locked file and deleted them manually. Comparison to that Norton is a good tool which can heal your files back.