Thread: Excel - Sharing Violation

Excel - Sharing Violation

At our Office we have all our PCs running with Office 2003 and all are connected to a Windows Server 2003. Server and clients are updated with all recent Windows Patches and updates. From past couple of days we have received complaints from several users that they are not able to share their documents on private network share. Especially MS Excel files. Whenever they try sharing the files, system says "sharing violation".

I know one reason could be if anyone has opened the file, and another is trying to share then such error me occur but I checked personally no other users have the file opened but still the error occurs. Does anyone of you came through this and is there any solution for the same? Please help.

RE: Excel - Sharing Violation

Hey even we are facing exactly the same problem in our office environment. I tried searching web for some help. Found few related topics on Microsoft and Google but it seems like there are only queries, no solution provided so far. Hope Microsoft is aware about the same and they release some patch to fix it.

Sharing Violation

I too am having random sharing violation messages for my users. In the last 2-3 months I've had 3 people report this problem. I verified account permissions and made sure Network Service had adequate permissions. The first time I saw what was happening I created the user a new profile and this cleared thing up for 3 or 4 days and then it started all over again. The 3 people are only reporting problems with 5-6 different files and we have changed the names of the files, created a new files and moved the contents and made sure the file server and PC were up to date on patches.
    Any ideas? Or has fix been found?

Re: Excel - Sharing Violation

Well, i’m not sure whether it will help but I think this is the problem related Windows Desktop Search. It comes with Windows Update. When you all have ran Windows Update, it might have got installed on your systems and hence the problem started. So just try uninstalling the same. Restart the computer and then see if you still facing the same problem.

Thanks Scott2580, I just deleted the windows desktop from the startup folder, rebooted the PC's in question and have had no problems for 3 days now. By removing it from the startup folder and not letting it run on the task bar was good enough. Didn't have to uninstall it. It does its indexing while running from the taskbar. Again thanks, That's one of those peksy problems that keep us in a job I guess.

I also removed the Windows Desktop Search from the startup folder and that has removed our issues as well.

Thank you...Thank you...Thank you.

i also had same issue. this happened to me after upgrading kaspersky 2009 to latest version 2010. my machine is bit old may be the minimum requirement of kaspersky 2010 not met. i reinstalled kaspersky 2009 version which solved the problem.this happens because anti-virus software scans the files before saving ms-office 2007 in 97-2003 format.better go for lite anti-virus software.