Thread: Convert Works database to Access or Excel

Convert Works database to Access or Excel

On my old desktop computer I was using MS Works and have had a very large database. I use to take its backup daily. Yesterday that system crashed. I have MS Works database in my portable drive. I copied those entire database file in my new computer which is not having MS Works installed neither I want to install it on this computer. So I wanted to know how can I convert my database so that it can be opened in other programs such as Access or MS Excel. Thank you.

Re: Convert Works database to Access or Excel

Did you tried opening it in MS Excel as it is? I mean without converting? If yes, does it opens or you receiving any error message? What is your office version?

I’m using Office 2003 and yes, I tied to open it in Excel but it wont open. I read somewhere that Excel 2000 or never versions cannot open MS Works unless they are saved in Excel format earlier itself. This is the reason why I wanted to convert it to open in Excel 2003. Please help.

i have a similar problem and found no file option in several editions of ms works data base.
    i need answers from someone who has actually done this conversion successfully.
    THANKS MELBOB
    PS. IT SEEMS STRANGE TO ME THAT MICROSOFT TRIES TO INCLUDE A COPY OF WORKS IN EVERY SALE OF WINDOWS ( ALL EDITIONS ) AND THEN DOES NOT PROVIDE A MEANS OF CONVERTING BETWEEN THIER TWO SYSTEMS.
    DATA BASES FROM OTHER PROGRAMS "D-BASE" - "FOXPRO" AND OTHERS WILL EASILY TRANSLATE BACK AND FORTH WITH WORKS BUT YOU CANNOT GO BETWEEN THE 2 MICROSOFT PROGRAMS.