Thread: Calendar Reminders in Outlook 2003 not working

Calendar Reminders in Outlook 2003 not working

Earlier I was using Office 2003 on my Windows Vista PC connected to Local domain. I use to work with Outlook 2003 to access Exchange 2003 in my office and Outlook 2003 over a VPN to access the same account from home. Last week I upgraded my Laptop’s office to version 2007 and since then started getting some problem with Outlook reminders. Now though I’m able to get all calendar reminders in Outlook 2007 at my home but don’t know why not in Outlook 2003 at my office. Can anybody please tell me what could be the problem and how can I fix it? Thank you.

Re: Calendar Reminders in Outlook 2003 not working

There might have been some changes in settings which is creating the problem. Just make sure that your Outlook 2007 is not set for delivery to a Personal Folders File and that it uses the correct Exchange credentials.Let me know the results.

I have a similar problem, in that I had installed Office 2003 Standard Edition (with Outlook) years ago and had it working well. Recently, however, when I tried to install Office Home and Student 2007 (without Outlook), the reminders stopped working altogether. I tried to clean reminders, but my PC couldn't find the outlook/cleanreminders file. I have since then uninstalled the Office Home and Student 2007; but the reminders problem persists with Outlook 2003 version. What can I do?!?!?!
    Last edited by RustyCP; 26-02-2009 at 06:41 AM.

Hello RustyCP. Just open command prompt and run Outlook /cleanreminders. Thats it. Make sure you put the space after outlook.

PERFECT!!!
    Many thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuus................

Oops... spoke too soon. The clean command seemed to work, since I didn't get an error message that Run didn't find the file; but the reminders STILL are not working. Keep in mind that I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2003, and the problem persists. Is there anything else that I can do? I appreciate ANY help on this.

If due to some reasons your Outlook is not running then launch Outlook, and keep Outlook running to receive reminders.
    • When you create reminders, verify that they are saved in your primary Calendar or Task folder.
    • Exit Outlook, click Start, point to Run, type outlook /cleanreminders, and then click OK.
    • Exit Outlook, click Start, point to Run, type outlook /resetfolders, and click OK. Use this method if the /cleanreminders switch does not resolve the problem.

Thanks for pointing me to the article, which I followed regarding resolutions. However, even after running "outlook /resetfolders", when "outlook /cleanreminders" didn't work, the problem persists. Any other thoughts?

ALERT -- I figured out the solution; but it probably needs to occur only AFTER running the other two jobs: "cleanreminders" and "resetfolders". Once these jobs are run, go into Tools, Options, Other tab, Advanced Options... button, and then Reminder Options button to bring up a box and uncheck Display the reminder. Then click OK all the way out, close down Outlook, and wait a minute. This is what first sets all reminders NOT to operate when they come due. Then to reset all reminders TO operate, launch Outlook, go all the way back into that Reminder Options... button and recheck the same box to now Display the reminder, allowing all reminders to operate. I even closed down Outlook at this point again, before doing any work in it, so as to "save" the new setting for all reminders to operate. Then I relaunched Outlook and the reminders started working properly. YEAHhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!