Thread: Office 2007 icons missing from files shown in folder view

Office 2007 icons missing from files shown in folder view

I am not able to find answer for issue that I am facing on Windows Vista. I am using Office 2007. When I open it I cannot see icons on it .It is a plain white page. It looks that are very few features available on my edition While the same when I see in my friends pc it has many things. It looks it is not working properly. I am not getting any error or problem while using it.

Remove and re-install Office. I hope you are not talking about the ribbon. It appears. Sometime it is minimized and you have to click on the small arrow on the top side. When you click on that the ribbon appears on the screen and you can simply use it for modifying your documents. I am sure this will be not at all complicated. But if really there is nothing much available then run a repair setup of Office and then check back.

Been a while since this post, but I ran into the same problem so I will answer this question.

I had the same problem.
    I think you see this on DOC and XLS files (Not on DOCX and XLSX files)

Follow these instructions:

1. Open Windows Explorer
    2. Go to Tools > Folder Options and click the File Types tab
    3. Scroll down the DOCX, select it and click on “Advanced”
    4. Click on “Change Icon”
    5. Copy the location besides the browse button into your clip board.
    6. Click cancel, and click cancel again
    7. Scroll back up to DOC and click on “Advanced”
    8. Click on “Change Icon”
    9. Paste from your clipboard into this location and click OK
    10. Click OK again and again.]

That should be it!

Yes, in Vista.
    It is right in the toolbar. You are in Windows Explorer right? Not Internet Explorer.
    Maarten Van Ruitenburg

Re: Office 2007 icons missing from files shown in folder view

Hi mate,

I had the same problem. There is one folder missing - C:\Windows\Installer\{90120000-0030-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} from your hard disk or it's corrupted. It should contains around 14-15 files with icons. The folder should be around 6MB big. Check the situation in your windows\installer folder and see if everything is OK. I've tried to upload this file for you but there is problem with that :( If you need this file send me your e-mail and i will send this on there.

Ups. I've read that you talking about Vista . My help is about Windows XP Home/Pro.
    Last edited by naimaD7; 11-05-2009 at 03:44 PM.

I noticed my icons missing for Word and IBM Personal Communications. I thought a recent automated uninstall of MS Project was the problem and that a glitch occurred until I followed these instructions and when I clicked 'Change Icon' I got the missing folder error.

I had run really low on disk space so I moved the entire C:/Windows/Installer folder to a separate partition. When the error pops up, you can just go find that particular folder and put it back in the installer folder. Cancel the change icon request. Then, hit Change Icon again and your icons will show up in the dialog box. After this, simply click OK/Close and your icons should automatically refresh.

-badsign

Thanks for this tip. I too was cleaning out the Windows\Installer folder and inadvertantly moved this icon folder. Thankfully it was easy to move back and reassociate with the file types. Thanks for posting up your solution.