Thread: Very slow File Open/Save Dialog

Very slow File Open/Save Dialog

Hi, this is Windows XP running with Microsoft Office 2000. I recently installed it on my new laptop after uninstalling from the desktop. Also went through phone activation, all done. Now the problem is File Dialog window is responding very very slow with all office applications. No matter it is Word, Excel, PP or Outlook, whenever I try to save any file or attachment, it takes about 50 to 60 seconds to switch directories. Earlier when I was using this copy of Office on my Windows 2000, I haven’t faced such problem in past 4 years. Can anyone please tell me what is the problem? Eve re-installing dint fixed the problem. Please help.

Re: Very slow File Open/Save Dialog

If I’m not wrong, your computer is connected to any Network and you are trying to save the files to network drives, right? If yes, then such problem may occur. So, just to confirm if this could be the cause try disconnecting your network drivers temporarily and see if the problem remains. You can do this by simply right clicking the drives and select disconnect.

Sorry for delay in responding. No there's no drives identified as unavailable.

Has anyone resolved CalifornianEskimo's issue yet? Has he started up a new thread I would like to follow up. I have the exact same problem, no unavailable mapped drives, this has been bugging me at least a year and i have no solution to this. For your info, I have VPN in my computer to access to my pc at work, does this cause the slow delay?

Slow Open / Insert File

I've done a lot of research on this item to no avail. However, if I reformat the hard drive, reinstall everything (including patches)the problem goes away for 6+ months only to return. I've only encountered this on XP systems.

I've uninstalled patch KB908531, disconnected unmapped drives and basically tried every other solution I've seen posted regarding slow access to Open or Insert file.

This problem is most notable when selected the drop down 'Look In' for navigating to a file to attach to an email via Outlook, but also occurs in Word, Excel etc. when navigating away from 'My Documents'.

So short of reformatting the hard drive I haven't found a perfect solution yet.

Any other suggestions?

Hello

A workaround is: type the path to the desired folder in "File name" field instead of clicking on combo box on the top, it is much faster

Possible reason of slow response is that the combo box probably tries to load some subdirectories of the mapped disks. For some reason, it is not optimized and therefore terribly slow. I believe that it is a bug in MS code that could be fixed (if somebody in MS decides to do it at all).

I had the same very frustrating problem with XP that I had never experienced with Windows 2000. I found that I had a link to a computer that was no longer on the network. Your solution worked perfectly.

Many Thanks

I too encountered this problem. It is not firewall or virus protection related. I had set up a home network using a software bridge but the other computer was not present. When I went to Control Panel/Network Connections, removed the bridge and disabled the unused connections the problem vanished.