Thread: Double clicking office documents opens the program but not the doc

Double clicking office documents opens the program but not the doc

There are many people in my office that are having some issues while running Office 2007. If we are double clicking a doc like excel, word, etc; then in windows explorer the program will open but the doc does not open unless you click file >> open. We have tried to install all updates, uninstalled and reinstalled office, even repaired it, but nothing seems to be working for us. Can anyone please helpus out? Thanks.

Re: Double clicking office documents opens the program but not the doc

Have you tried running Office Diagnostics by going into Start > Program > All Programs > MS Office > Microsoft Office Tools? Do you have any virus scanner in your pc? Have you installed any add-ins for Excel, Word, etc?

Re: Double clicking office documents opens the program but not the

I did the diagnostics and office passes it without any issues. There are no add-ins installed and I a using Symantec Antivirus which I have disabled as well with no results. Thanks for the reply, any other suggestions?

Can you tell us whether this is a local drive documents or on a network path? Have you checke that each user have a different normal.dot file? When you delete the file association for Word document in Windows then you have to use the Winword /R by going into Start > Run. Check if it is able to recreate the association.

You are right, all the documents are on the network drives. After many more installation and repairs I came to one conclusion that this issue is much more present in Excel than any other office program. There is nothing that has been messed with winword /r and normal.dot. I think that all users have our own normal.dot in drive:\users\{username \appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows

For Word doc types file, there are multiple file associations. When you delete the .doc association and then run Winword.exe /r, then it will try to repopulate the associations with the default characteristics or it will skip that step and then try to open a .DOC file from Windows Explorer after deleting the association that you should be prompted as to what application you want to use or set as default for opening doc files.

Well, you can try to download XLSX Repair that is a file recovery tool that allows you to recover corrupt and damaged XLSX files. The data recovery software lets XLSX solve their queries regarding how to repair XLSX files easily without any alteration of the data. You can test the data recovery software without any delay with XLSX repair and those files that have been damaged due to some system errors.

After many tries to solve the current issue, I find the solution !
    Try to uninstall (not just disable) and reinstall your Antivirus Program.
    It worked for me.

Sounds like the issue I had. Certain Word documents behaved like this. Others were fine. The problematic files, in my case, were not opening because there was a "#" in the filename. When I removed that character, the files opened normally.

I have the same problem...only for Word 2007. I ran Win Fix-it and it made some compatibility adjustment that I cannot undo. My machine is a Vista upgrade to Win 7 and it toggled me into dialog boxes. I now have to approve all Win programs before they open AND Word opens when I double click in explorer but the file does not. I ran the Fixit too long ago to restore so I am wondering if anyone has an idea about how to force Word to accept file open commands from Explorer. MS community forums not much help. TKS

I installed SP3 for Office 2007 8 days ago. Since that time I am unable to open Word documents by double-clicking on the file name in Windows Explorer. The application opens, but the document does not. When I add a document to an email, the recipient does NOT receive the content. Further, the keyboard shortcuts for the menu options (Alt+F +S to Save, Alt+F +P to Print) no longer work.

AFAIK this malady only affects Word but honestly I don't use the other programs often enough to know or care. I run Windows XP SP3 and have Office 2007 Professsional. All files are on a local disk. I've tried all of the suggestions here and none of them have worked. I am working at a client site for a few weeks and didn't bring my install disks. Others here have said a reinstall doesn't fix the problem anyway.

Is there any way to get support from Microsoft? Things were working fine until I installed SP3!
    Last edited by let98007; 22-01-2012 at 05:14 AM.

I've had this issue off and on since I've had office '07. Like you, clicking on a file will open up the correct program, but it'd be blank.

For some reason, I always need make sure it does not ignore other applications that use dynamic data exchange. As a default, office has this checked, but it causes my problem.

To uncheck it, go to the following:
    Office button/excel (or word etc) options/advanced/general and then unclick the ignore other programs that use dynamic data exchange button.

Atleast for me, from now on it opens correctly.