Thread: Office 2007 proofing tools error "cannot find proofing tools for English"

Office 2007 proofing tools error "cannot find proofing tools for English"

I am using Office 2007 Pro Plus on my Windows XP system. The default language which is installed in the Office suite is English. I think this one is a single user pack. I am using Word most of the time. This is a new upgrade that I had performed recently. But when I try to run proofing tools I am getting a error on my screen. Word is not able to find proofing tools for English. It is a fresh installation but still it is not working.

Remove office and perform a clean setup once again. This will be enough for you to fix the problem. A number of issues of Microsoft Office can be fixed simply by performing a clean setup. You can try with removing office completely first and then installing. Some system files are not properly installed or missing due to which you are getting the problem. Just install it once again and then check back.

Looks like some serious bug with Office setup. You have to change that. Because everytime you use that and you are going to get the same error. You can download a trail setup of microsoft office web and simply use that for performing the setup. That will be much more helpful in many ways. You can find out a trail setup on the web and then check again. I think this would be working fine.

Go to the Add/Remove Programs and select Microsoft Office 2007 and click the Change button. Select the Add/Remove Features radio button and hit Continue. Expand the plus-sign next to Office Shared Features, click on the drop-down arrow next to Proofing Tools, and Select "Run All From My Computer". (Or you can select the Languages you prefer to have Proofing Tools support, if you expand Proofing Tools.) Click Continue, etc. and you should be all set.

the "run all from my computer" stuff didn't work for me.

Removed this key, went back into word and now ok.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Components\F3BE92CC2CB71D119A12000A9CE1A22A

RE: Proofing.en-us

I am a bit lucky here about that. Because I am having a Gateway laptop with recovery option. I was facing that issue then I performed a complete recovery and things are fine here. There is no problem with the same. The installation cd might be corrupted but somehow there are many things that you can try out. It is good to get a separate setup because that would be much more helpful.

I have this same problem exactly, but don't have those keys in my registry... any other ideas?

You are completely right! I uninstalled completely & reinstalled but that didn't solve it. I uninstalled, removed the Office directory & anything I could find to do with office from the registry & reinstalled, but that still didn't solve it. You know what? I think I'll stick with English (U.S.) since I only have the laptop for another month! Or maybe I'll start writing everything in French since that works too... it is ONLY the English (U.K.) that doesn't!!!

How odd eh? Maybe if I changed my system locale to English (U.S.) when I install, then that would be the one that didn't work? Who knows!

The previous post which says "This fix works".... it doesn't, I had already set all the optiosn to run from my computer, but went in and did it anyway, but still no joy! This is with the full release version, not beta. I have also downloaded the 668Mb Office 2007 proofing tools from MSDN and tried installing that, but that wouldn't even install and the folder structure looked exactly like the one on the original install with all the folders named xxxx.en-us..... Not good!!

However, can confirm that the first post does indeed work.... how worrying is that!! A release product that from MS that you have to reg hack to get to work properly.... and we thought the MS poor quality releases were a thing of the past.......

I downloaded a trial verson of what i had :then loaded my version, it copied over the trial version cause everything was there !! It worked for me I hope it will work for you , I know how mad this can make someone !!!

re: Office setup cannot find proofing.en-us\proof.en\

I know this is old ;but I wish it would have been here when i found this as helpful tech site on the internet !
    Mike

re: Office 2007 proofing tools error "cannot find proofing tools for English"

I am trying to work out what worked for you.

re: Office 2007 proofing tools error "cannot find proofing tools for English"

I have a problem with my recently installed Office 2007 Pro Plus setup running under XP SP2. My default language preference for spelling and grammar is English (UK) but when I try to spell check new or old (word XP) documents, I get an error to say that Word "cannot find proofing tools for English (UK)...". If I click K, Word tells me it has completed the spelling and
    grammar checking but detects no errors etc. And if I choose to use the thesaurus I get the error the Office "cannot op[en the Thesaurus... Installer error 1605...". Everything work OK if I select English (US) as my language but that does not help me much... I have tried repairing the installation and have tried unininstalling the proofing tools and reinstalling them (using the MSOCache files, not the installation source) but this has not helped... Are the English (UK) proofing tools not available from the installation source? Where can I obtain the English (UK) Files and how do I install them? Any help, as always, greatly appreciated.

Help me please...
    Even if the files are found in a installation cd or dvd from microsoft....the certificate is expired...could that be the reason?

Here is the error report I found when tried to open those files: proof.cab, proof.msi and proof.xlm:
    (In addition it is not possible to copy those files into my hard drive from the MS Offics small business 2007 CD)

office12/Proofing.en-us/Proof.es/Proof.Cab 15.6 MB
    Certificate Information
    The digital signature of the object did not verify
    Issued to: VeriSign Time Stamping Services Signer
    Issued By: VeriSign Time Stamping Services CA
    Valid from 12/3/2003 to 12/3/2008
    Thawte Timestamping CA
    VeriSign Time Stamping Services CA
    VeriSign Time Stamping Services Signer

Try the fix given below which was made on some other site:
    1. When the installer pops up the error, ignore it. Don’t close or cancel the install, just let it sit.
    2. Perform a Windows search for “proof.msi”. You may need to select the “Search system folders” option.
    3. In the results, you will see “proof.msi” located somewhere in the Windows temporary directory.
    4. Copy, or write down, the path that is found.
    5. Return to the installer. You should still have the error message present asking you to enter a location. In the box at the bottom of the error message, type or paste the path from step 4.
    6. Now that you have the path typed/pasted, delete the “proofing.en-us\proof.en\proof.msi” part from it.
    7. Press enter.

Source: ryantadams