Thread: Help file corrupt in Office 2007

Help file corrupt in Office 2007

I had recently installed Microsoft Office 2007. The installation was fine and there was no problem with the setup. But when I try to open help files in Powerpoint it is not loading. It looks the files are corrupt. How can I restore those files back again. I am new to Office 2007 and trying to find out information on new features through help section. But it is not showing up better output. Any idea on the same. From where I can download those files.

office 2007 help files

Hi, I'm John from Microsoft. Please take a look at the thread I recently responded to at http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=690490. If that doesn't address your issue, here's a few questions to help start a diagnosis of the issue.

1. What OS are you currently running and did you customize your install in anyway? For instance, was 2007 installed on top of a previous version of Office, did you customize your setup, are you potentially not running as an admin?
    2. What kind of internet connection do you have, Corpnet, Cable, DSL, dialup?
    3. Are you running any frewall software?
    4. Can you browse to Office.Microsoft.com without any issues?
    5. Try changing the Help Viewer to Offline Mode, here's the steps to get Help offline.
    a. Click on the "Connect to Office Online" dropdown menu, its at the bottom right corner of the Help Window in the status bar.
    b. Select "Show only content from this computer"
    c. You should now be offline, make sure you can access local help.

Hopefully we'll have this solved quickly, talk to you soon!

I have a similar problem. When ever I try to access the help from any
    Office program I recieve the following msg box:
    Office 2007 Enterprise
    Application name Microsoft Word
    Version 12.0
    Build 4518
    Product ID 81599-871-0048002-65617

I should have followed up sooner, just checking to see if the post from
    thepisu corrected everyone's issues with 2007 Help?

Well, looks like something weird happened to my previous post (look at my join date and the post date - the post was actually made this year).

My problem is also the Offline help which does not work, but shows the xml code. My registry key is set to xmlfile, but I still can only see the xml code when trying to open Offline Help from MS Office. My registry export looks like this:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml]
    @="xmlfile"
    "Content Type"="text/xml"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml\OpenWithList\winword.exe]
    @=""

Does anybody else have this problem? If Offline help works fine for you, can you please post your registry key here?

Note: My OS is Vista Home Premium SP 1 - would that explain some of the differences below?

If I export my xmlfile branch, it looks the same as the one from jcmaison, except for:
    "FriendlyTypeName"="@C:\\Windows\\system32\\msxml3r.dll,-1"

My .xml branch looks completely different, I assume because I don't have some of the software like dreamweaver etc installed. I don't have any of the following branches in my registry under .xml:
    • OpenWithProgIDs
    • PersistentHandler

Does anybody know if I require them in Vista, if that could be the problem?

Thanks for the help, jc. I am however not sure how to set IE back to its default settings. In the Advanced Tab in Internet Options, I have clicked "Restore Advanced Settings" - not sure if that is enough? (This did not resolve the issue yet.)

Found the Reset as described (thanks, the instructions are good), did it, but it did not help. I also followed the steps from the microsoft web site, with no luck. Have not had the energy yet to uninstall and re-install Office again. I think by that time, I'd rather go all the way, re-format with XP instead of Vista, and try my chances there. That is however not going to happen soon - some time constraints here. I would also have liked if Microsoft cared enough to fix this.

When using online help it also works fine, but the problem is that the offline help does NOT work. I cannot (and frankly don't always want to) be online all the time. Microsoft put the option there for us to use offline help, except that it does not work for many people. Any help with this, or is this one of the issues that does not really bother Microsoft - therefore no support or help from their side? (I have not seen a proper response on this topic from Microsoft on ANY of the forums I've searched)

Unfortunately not. I don't hink that there is any intention from Microsoft's side to look at the issue either.

Try to run the repair setup and then check back. The files will be replaced. That is the only way. There is no way on the web from where you can download those files and add them in the default location. Those are chm files and can be replaced by re-installing microsoft office 2007. It is a very common bug and not at all complicated at all.

Not sure if this thread is dead or not, but I have had the same problem, and all my registry settings appear to be ok.

This is how I fixed the problem...
    It appears that the help system needs template or support code from the internet that is not available on the local PC. I can create and repair this problem and prove this works:

1) Open Word 2007
    2) Click the ? help icon in the top right corner - the Word Help box will open up, and display the raw XML in the right frame.
    3) At the bottom of the help window is a button that says "Offline" - Click that button and select "Show Content from Office Online"
    4) Assuming that you have an active internet connection, both the left and right frames will re-load and the help pages will display correctly.

that's what I meant ... offline help won't work unless you have online help disabled.

Please Note: I haven't tested this again since all those office2007 help file updates that have come thru in the last couple of weeks. The issue may have been resolved with those MS updates?

re: Help file corrupt in Office 2007

Has anyone managed to find a solution for this one? Neither my online or offline help are working for any office applications. I get the index displayed but that's all. When I click on an item in the index nothing happens. I'm running Office 2007 SP2 with Vista SP2. I'm not logged into http://office.microsoft.com either.

I have the same problem... can get online help but not local.. didnt mess
    with registry but did try the other stuff and no help.. any further ideas?

re: Help file corrupt in Office 2007

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml]
    @="xmlfile"
    "Content Type"="text/xml"
    "PerceivedType"="text"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml\OpenWithList\winword.exe]
    @=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xml\PersistentHandler]
    @="{7E9D8D44-6926-426F-AA2B-217A819A5CCE}"