Thread: Opening Office ( Word, Excel, etc) Documents are very slow by double-clicking

Opening Office ( Word, Excel, etc) Documents are very slow by double-clicking

I am facing slow performance with Microsoft Office. When I open any file it takes a long time to open the same completely. But when I start Word or Excel just like that there is no issue with the slow performance. When I go on File > Open and click on the file it takes a long time to open the file. It is not working properly. I think my files are low on size but still it takes time to open up properly. Hope there is a way to fix it. I am sure there is no problem with the installation.

I am also having the same issue. It was proper before but recently there were some updates installed in the system and caused the failure. I am quiet not able to understand why this is happening. I hope the issue would be resolved if I go with re-installation of the entire setup. Any office app that I try to open takes a long time to open. I had actually upgraded that over older edition of Office and I think that cause the problem.

I am getting the same issue. When I check inside Task Manager I found that Word is taking around 100% of total system resource and it is not at all allowing me to run any other app. After terminating the same things went back to normal. I had also updated windows. But the issue exist before that. So to some extent I believe that updates are not at all responsible for the issue.

Re: Opening Office ( Word, Excel, etc) Documents are very slow by double-clicking

I had the same issue and it drove me crazy. Try this, go to command prompt, type in netstat -a, look for any connections that are listed that you cannot ping, when you find one, open up the registry and do a find for that connection and delete all the instances of that connection (if you are no longer using it). This worked for me.

Opening Office ( Word, Excel, etc) Documents are very slow by double-clicking

Opening Office ( Word, Excel, etc) Documents are very slow by double-clicking and at the time of saving it takes a long time to save(more than a min). All excel files are not mor than 1MB.
    Last edited by avi.2006; 01-02-2008 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Additional Inf....

Just re-install Office back again and then check back. The issue will be resolved. You must perform a clean setup instead of going with any kind of upgrades. Which would be a much better alternative for this kind of issue. If you are facing problem with performance I think your system is low on ram. You must try to upgrade that. Re-installing is the only way to get rid of this thing.

Hi all.. I was having the same problem. fist i used combofix.. it worked. but then after live update the problem came again.. but now by doing below.. its fixed now..

Re: Opening Office ( Word, Excel, etc) Documents are very slow by double-clicking

I have been having the same problem. If I am connected to the network at work, it takes nearly 5 minutes to open a word or excel document unless I open word or excel and browse to the document, then it opens properly. I have found that if I go to the task bar and disable the LAN connection and then go to network connections and re enable the connection life is good. The problem comes back anytime I restart my pc.

Did you ever attached any file to the Network. It might be possible that Word is searching the template for the attached network file and that is why taking too much time to open file while on Network. Another issue might be that you are using the Addins which might be connecting to internet to find the updates. So disable the addins and see whether issue persist or not.