Thread: How do I set up the MDI Printer?

How do I set up the MDI Printer?

About 6 months ago I called up a printer who did the set up of my MDI printer. Couples of days ago don’t know how .mdi printer was removed and I have no idea how to re-install it. I really need it to be installed as soon as possible because I use to save documents to my computer that would otherwise not have a valid file extension. So far what I did to install it back is first I removed Microsofit Document Imaging from Add change remove programs, Microsoft Office 2003 > Change > Add/Remove Features > Choose advanced Customization of Applications. Later installed it back but it dint helped with the problem.

So I request you guys to please provide the steps to re-install MDI printer as soon as possible. Thank you.

Re: How do I set up the MDI Printer?

You need to first remove and then reinstall the MODI printer driver feature using your Office 2003 CD. Here is the complete procedure:
    • Close all running applications. If you have any Office application running, the driver will not be installed properly.
    • Go to "Control Panel" and "Add or Remove Programs".
    • Click on "Microsoft Office 2003" and then click on "Change".
    • Check "Add or Remove Features" and click "Next".
    • On the bottom of the page check "Choose advanced customization of applications." and click "Next".
    • Under Microsoft Office click on the + sign in front of "Office Tools"
    • Locate the object "Microsoft Office Document Imaging", click the icon and select "Not Available".
    • Click on "Update". This will uninstall the MODI driver.
    • Repeat steps 1 to 6 to go back to the same location you were before.
    • Locate the object "Microsoft Office Document Imaging", click the icon and select "Run from My Computer".
    • Click on "Update".

Hope it helps.

is Print Spooler services on?

Hi, first of all make sure that your Printer Spooler is running. You can do it by going to Administrative Tools -> Services -> Print Spooler. Many people turn it off to make their PC run faster. If you are the one of them then MDI driver will not install because it requires the spooler.

Re: How do I set up the MDI Printer?

I eventually got the MDI printer to install by following all the previous advice and then, since it of course did not work this time either I did the following after reinstalling it. I added a printer in Printers and Faxes. When given the option I choose to use the following port. Microsoft Document Imaging Writer This should be an option after reinstall even if it failed.

then choose any postscript printer. I picked Apple colour laser writer. complete this install and rename the printer to Imaging writer or whatever.

In my case the actual proper printer for Microsoft Document Imaging Writer with that name then showed up in Printers and faxes and I just deleted the printer I had added. If not one more uninstall and reinstall of it all including the printer you added should solve the problem.

PS After Uninstall of MDI I had previously also deleted all content in the directory C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MODI and purged the registry of all references to Microsoft Document Imaging Writer Monitor, but I don't think this was the fix as when I reinstalled after this I still did not have a MDI printer until I did the add printer thing.