Thread: Office 2007 error cannot create work file

Office 2007 error cannot create work file

I had just done with the upgrade installation of Microsoft Office 2007. I installed the same on Office 2003. The upgrade files are proper. There is no issue with the setup. But when I try to save the file I am getting a weird error on the screen. The error is related to some could not create the work file. That simply means it is not able to save the file and it is really very annoying. I had restarted the system a number of time but still the problem lies the same.

There is a problem with the setup. The files are not properly configured due to which you are getting the problem. It is always recommended that you perform a clean installation instead of upgrading stuff. That makes thing more complicated. Because old files still lies in your system. Now you have to remove that Office and install it back again from scratch. And if you want you can keep Office 2003 also. Both can work on same pc.

The issue lies with temp folder. When you open Word it creates a temp file. This temp file is used later on to save files. But if the application fails to find out the same it will not work properly. I am providing you a link below that can give you more information on what you are looking for.

"Word could not create the work file" error message when you save a document in Word 2013, Word 2010 or in Office Word 2007

Try set your systen enviorment temp

Try set your system enviorment in registry.

check "Cahce" and make sure it points to a valid read/writeable location,Temp folder or Internet temp folder (and if you don't want your mail to be readable by security issue, place them on a crypted location, cause this is so stupid by outlook)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

This worked for me (Outlook 2007).

I registered just for this answer ;).. don't expect replies.

Registry Editing???? Huh?

Yeah, same problem. But, I need much more detail in fixing the registry!

Post above was Greek Cyrilic to me.

re: Office 2007 error cannot create work file

I had the same problem. Thanks to Robbie who posted on this forum on top, I managed to fix it. In my case this was due to synchronization which happened between my laptop and another backup device. Backup device has f***up software and it has overwritten my variables. By changing the temp variables in registry it works as a baby agian.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Ravindu Denawaka

re: Office 2007 error cannot create work file

I realize that to most of you, working with registeries is common place, but for those of use who have never tweaked with a Registry before, could you perhaps provide some instruction on how to perform what you just mentioned.