Thread: Turn off reading pane permanently

Turn off reading pane permanently

I have recently upgraded my Office 97 to Office 2003. Everything is working ok but I have a small query with it. I’m not able to find out where is the Reading Pane setting in Word. I want to Turn it Off permanently but though I turn off it once while working and restart Word next time, it appears back again. Its very irritating.

Can anyone please tell me how can I turn off Reading Pane in Office 2003 permanently?

RE: Turn off reading pane permanently

The actual process to turn it off permanently is by clicking on Tools > Options > General > and uncheck the "Allow starting in Reading Layout" box. Click OK. Were you doing in this way itself?

Re: Turn off reading pane permanently

Thanks for the steps Bollea. Yes, I was doing it in the same way as you mentioned but it gets reset every time I restart it next time. Along with this it also resets create a drawing canvas. Hope I haven’t made any mistake upgrading to Office 2003.

Well I am sure as per the situation you mentioned above you have corrupted data key in Word. Hoping you have admin rights to
    the registry check this http://support.microsoft.com/default...us;821713&FR=1. I’m telling this because I’m sure when you turn off Reading layouts in MS Word from Tools=>Options, must not change other settings as you said about drawing canvas setting.

Help appreciated Myra but that too dint worked for me. As per the suggestion at that URL I deleted the registry, even set the options the way I want them in MS Word and everything. It worked fine until the Word was opened, but as I already said in my two previous post, the settings gets reset again after restart. So any other solution please?

Hey guys, did you found the cause of this problem. I found it. As long as Word is already open, then the e-mail attachment opens correctly. The only time it resets my settings is when Outlook starts up Word. Hope you got my point.