Thread: Office very slow opening docs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)

Office very slow opening docs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)

Microsoft Office is not at all working fine on my system. Whenever I open my documents it takes around more than 3 minutes to open a document. The problem lies with attachments. I am getting tons of attachments on my emails. When I open them they use to open quickly. But from last couple of days it is taken long time to open. The size of file is also not so large that would consume time to open.

I was facing the same issue. The problem lies with either template or with the antivirus. You can first disable the antivirus for start and then check back. Whenever you open a document the antivirus simply scan and then only it opens. So it is not a issue. You can just give it a bit time. Or else increase your ram and then check back. More physical ram offers more performance.

Re: Office very slow opening docs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)

I found this issue began following windows update KB961501. Removal of this update cured the problem and my computer is back to normal. I think this update may also be part of windows XP SP3, I am using SP2 + various individual updates. Prior to unistalling this windows update I had also tried the uncheck DDE method for the file opening. This worked on my machine but I found it to be a pain doing this for every file extension i may wish to open with excel/word etc.

Hi
    I have a similar problem :
    A w2k3R2 server, a xp sp3 client with office 2k3
    15 day ago, all was running correctly. A day after, when opening .doc containing fields Set and Ref, opening take several minutes (up to 5) using explorer or word to open this files.
    I copy some files like that on the local client computer, but no more speed.
    I uninstall Symantec (corporate) and nothing better...
    I disconnect the network cable and.... The local (of course) doc is opening in few seconds. I reconnect and ... several minutes.
    If I open word doc without fields set and ref, opening is ok (seconds) on network or local, with or without network cable connected.
    Could somebody help me please ?
    Regards

When trying to uninstall this KB, system tell me than a lot of installed programs may be unfunctionnal after... I am a little bir afraid of.
    Did you have the same message when uninstalling this KB ?

It's probably better to have Workgroup templates downloaded to the user PC at login, and then change the location to the local drive for your users. If word has a problem accessing a network drive it really slows down, especially if it scans all active drives to find the right template. You can set the download script to overwrite template files when the server date is newer than the PC date by using the /d switch in xcopy.

Thanks for answer but...
    The files I open are on local drive... If the network cable is not connected, opening is very fast...
    Eg : I run Word, disconnect network wire, open a file on local drive C:, like 3 sec to open it
    Then I connect the network (wired ou wifi) and open again the same doc... up to 5 minutes
    So I don't think the problem is network speed (gigabyte wired), and when I open a big doc on network (that not content set and ref fields) the opening is OK

I think that this problem occurs if your connection to your network is slow because your Office program has to make multiple queries to the network to obtain the correct file information. To work around this behavior, add the EnableShellDataCaching value to the Microsoft Windows registry.

More information is given here.

Hi

I findthe solution:

I had a remote DC that I've stopped, but DNS was pointing to this server on AD

I clear this records and system is OK

Thanks all

We've discovered a compatibility issue with Office 2010 and IE8. Turns out that the machines that were having slow initial file access with Office 2010 installed were running Internet Explorer 8.0. Go to tools> internet option> security> local intranet> sites and uncheck the box that says 'automatically detect intranet network'.

In IE6 this setting does not exist. In IE7 the setting is there but is unchecked by default. In IE8 the setting is checked by default. This causes no problems with Office 2000. Don't know about Office 2003 or 2007 but it definitely causes initial file access delays with Office 2010.

Thanks CanjonZone you're a genius..

HELP - Please! I took the advice of JAM below & now Word wont even open
    I went back & got rid of the \"%1\" and rechecked "Use DDE" and it won't work. I have gone from trying to speed up opening to not it totally won't open

JAMS instructions.
    1.) Open My Computer.
    2.) Go to Tools -> Folder Options, and click on File Types.
    3.) Find the extension of the file in question (XLS, DOC, etc.)
    4.) Highlight the extension, and click \"Advanced.\"
    5.) Highlight the \"Open\" Action, and click \"Edit.\"
    6.) Click into the \"Application used...\" field, and scroll to the end
    of the command.
    7.) Put a space at the end, and type in \"%1\" (With the quotes.)
    8.) Uncheck \"Use DDE.\"
    9.) Click \"OK.\"

After I click a Word file to open it, a pop up message comes up
    The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions
    *Check the file permissions for the document or drive.
    *Use the file open dialog box to locate the document.
    (C:\Documents and settings\gmail\...and)

At the top left of the bland page that did not open is the info below

[InstallShield Silent]
    Version=v6.00.000
    File=Log File
    [ResponseResult]
    ResultCode=0
    [Application]
    Name=UDF Reader
    Version=5.0
    Company=CyberLink
    Lang=0009

O.K., in response to my own request for Help, I found the following instructions
    below and it worked. There were back up instructions as to exactly what to type where, if Windows self repair did not work.

First, start Word and let it try to detect and repair any problems with itself. Do this by choosing Detect and Repair from the Help menu. Word displays the Detect and Repair dialog box. (See Figure 1.)

Figure 1. The Detect and Repair dialog box.
    Accept the default settings (only Restore My Shortcuts While Repairing is selected), then click OK. Word may ask you to insert the original installation CD-ROM, depending on what it detects and needs to repair.