If you are not able click the send as attachment from within any office program without getting the Cannot start MS Outlook error followed by a second error depending on which office program, that is, excel general mail failure. I had one user who had the same problem and below is the workaround for it:
- First of all rename the excel xlb file to excelold.xlb (I dont know if this has anything to do with it but it cant hurt)
- After that go into word.. Tools... options... compatability tab... default button - set compat back to default.
- At this point it will work but it will use outlook 2000 (hey, but when I upgraded to OL2003, it said it got rid of OL2000? that was the choice I made during the upgrade - don't argue life is too short).
- Now try to uninstall OL2003 (repair does not work)
- Now you have to install fresh copy of OL2003
- After that open OL2003 and you may have to go through some screens of OL questions like "I found a previous version..." or "Outlook is not the default", but you shouldn't have to setup the profile again.
- You should now be able to email from within Office docs whether outlook is open or not.