Thread: Want hep to modify the data label text box in Excel pie chart

Want hep to modify the data label text box in Excel pie chart

In Excel 2003, I can't seem to re-shape the data labels text boxes in my pie chart. I can change the font and alignment of the text within the text box. But, if the text defaults onto two or three lines, I cannot stretch the text box out to get the text to stay on one line. Normally, you can pull on the the little handles on the text box. Is there a trick to this that I don't know about.

Re: Want hep to modify the data label text box in Excel pie chart

This is a deficiency in Excels charting capabilities. The text elements seem like regular text boxes, but you are unable to resize or reshape them. Even VBA can't do this. The workaround is to add a real text box with the text you want. To add a static text box, select the chart, type the label, and press Enter. A text box appears in the middle of the chart, with the text you've typed. To add a text box that's linked to a cell, select the chart, press the equals key, then select the cell with the mouse. A text box appears in the middle of the chart, with the text from the cell you selected. Move the text box where you need it, and format it as desired.

Re: Want hep to modify the data label text box in Excel pie chart

However i need to be able to stretch the text I type so it displays clearly when I copy the graph into power point. Is there any way I can i can stretch the text. You cannot change the size of the label. You must replace it with a text box. The textbox can be re-sized in the expected way.