Thread: How to point label in Excel scatter plot with text associated to it

How to point label in Excel scatter plot with text associated to it

I am trying to plot a scatter plot where I would like each point to have a specific name. For instance, I have three columns, company name, total revenue, and % margin. I would like to plot revenue vs. % margin and when clicking on a specific point, I would like to find out the company name.

Re: How to point label in Excel scatter plot with text associated to it

There is very elegant way of doing this in Excel without any third party add-ins. I explain you how to do this in following steps:
    First Organize your data as follows:
    1. A B C
    2. 1 Company Revenue (X) Margin (Y)
    3. 2 C1 200 12
    4. 3 C2 100 20

Step2: Plot a XY Scatter plot using MS Excel®, by selecting only B1:C3. Select series in: Column (don’t select Series in: Rows). This would produce your desired Revenue vs. %Margin Plot with Revenue on the XAxis & %Margin on YAxis. Have your leveling of axes done.

Step3: Click on the data point on the XY scatter it would select the data series. Then click once again on the individual data point to select it alone say for instance, point (Revenue=200, %Margin=12). Right click on the selected data point > Select Format Data Series > Select Data Label > Show Value

Step4: This would show the value of %Margin (= 20 in this case) beside the selected data point (Revenue=200, %Margin=12). Now double click on the label you have just created, this would give you a text box surrounding your label. Write company name in this text box (C1 in this case). Do the same for other data points as well. Now you have the third data value referenced to your data points. This is dynamic, even if you change the source data value (say the Revenue/Margin), company name would move along with the data point.

Re: How to point label in Excel scatter plot with text associated to it

You neglected to explain how to make the label dynamic in terms of pointing to the cell, so that the data label in the chart changes when the label in the cell changes. Select the series of labels, then select the specific label (two single clicks), then without clicking to put the cursor into the pseudo-text box, type the equals key, then click on the cell with the mouse. Both of the following free add-ins link the the cell in this way. Rob's has the added feature that it copies the cell's text formatting to the data label, although the formatting remains what it was when the label was created, and doesn't change if you change the formatting in the worksheet.