Thread: Some doubts on current vba code for defining rows in spreadsheet

Some doubts on current vba code for defining rows in spreadsheet

I got some help here writing some code. I am trying to do something very similar to what this line does, but I don't understand this line. lEndRow = wbkNewHdr.Sheets("Macro Records").Cells(Rows.Count, 2) _ .End(xlUp).Row I know it defines the final row in the named worksheet. What I don't understand is what the. Count does, or why the xlUp is not a xlDown. Can someone explain this line for me.

Re: Some doubts on current vba code for defining rows in spreadsheet

In the code, Rows.Count returns the number of rows in the worksheet, or 65536. Therefore, the Cells(Rows.Count,2) refers to the last cell in column 2. Then, the .End(xlUp) causes Excel to scan upwards until a non-empty cell is found. The .Row property returns the row number of that last cell.

The rows.count returns the number of rows in the spreadsheet (65,536). The .end(xlUp) travels up from this row to the first non-blank cell. Personally (and this is a personal preference) I would write that line like this. lEndRow = wbkNewHdr.Sheets("Macro Records").Range("B65536") _ .End(xlUp).Row because in my opionion Range("B65536") is far more clear to read than Cells(Rows.Count, 2).

Thanks to everyone for your prompt and helpful replies. Your explanations beg the question, why count up from the bottom instead of down from the data itself. Is this to handle the potential for blank cells in that column. If so, then if there were blanks in the bottom rows in this column, you'd get a miscount anyway. Is there some other reason for counting up from the bottom of the sheet.

If the data contains embedded blank cells, the End(xlDown) method will not take you to the last cell. It will take you to the cell above the first blank cell. Going from the bottom up will always take you to the last cell with data.