Thread: Want to add a Excel Worksheet link on Outlook Message

Want to add a Excel Worksheet link on Outlook Message

This request involves Outlook 2003 and Excel 2003.I send "cut & pasted" Excel spreadsheet data to various mail recipients via HTML messages. Since I run multiple computers on my network, I also have an add-in app that BCCs all my messages back to me. In order to reduce the size of my PST file, I prefer to go back into those messages and delete the actual data, but insert a link to the specific "sheet" in my Excel workbook. I have spent the better part of a day searching the web for details on creating a link for Excel to open to the particular worksheet. I have found numerous provisions for creating the link, but I can't for the life of me get any to work. I'm creating a "file hyperlink" via the "Insert/Hyperlink" menu in the Outlook message, but the best I can do is open the workbook - all references to the worksheet won't work. Apparently, the workbook will open to the last accessed worksheet. Since I add worksheets monthly, there is no standard in that function - I need the link to specify and access a particular sheet.

The file resides at the following address:

F:\My Docs\Act St\MDO chgs.xls additionally, I've "named" the first line of the spreadsheet by the month, i.e. Mar_chgs, including the underscore as Excel requires. Including that "name" in the path doesn't force the sheet to open. I have tried the '#' sign and single quotations at various points, to no avail. Based on my file data, would someone provide me with the actual link address to force Excel to open to the specific page. I would greatly appreciate it!!

Re: Want to add a Excel Worksheet link on Outlook Message

Try 'F:\My Docs\Act St\MDO chgs.xls'#MyMarchSheet!Mar_chgs. Just put the link in the message and then check. But this might create a issue of file not found when clicked on another system. You might need to upload the file on google docs to share with others.

Re: Want to add a Excel Worksheet link on Outlook Message

I don't understand the reference to MyMarchSheet in your path. I don't have anything like that within the file name. Also, would I include the single quote in front of the drive letter and behind the extension.